Floresta USA (dba Plant With Purpose) has been operating in Ethiopia as a registered International NGO-Floresta Ethiopia. Beginning in 2018, Plant With Purpose has managed a 3-year pilot project in Amhara Region, Andabet Woreda. Following a successful 3-year pilot phase, on July 1, 2021, the Ethiopia Country program began Phase 2 as a fully established Country Program. Compelled by immense need, equipped with a proven Theory of Change, and invited by local communities, Plant With Purpose seeks to scale impact in the Amhara Region of Ethiopia and empower rural farming families to thrive with economic security, environmental restoration, and growth in personal agency and stewardship.
Plant With Purpose has established and will continue to strengthen a close collaborative relationship with Ethiopian Orthodox Church to protect existing forest reserves and to also extend more widely the value of nature into environmental stewardship of common land and promote human agency in combatting the effects of climate change. Key interventions in progress include; training farmers in soil conservation and soil fertility, formation of savings led microfinance groups, conservation of existing church forest reserves.
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND BACKGROUND
Primary focus of all efforts is to improve the lives of smallholder farming households in ways that restore the environment, significantly reducing soil degradation in the watersheds of Andabet woreda.
We are looking for a skilled Program Director (PD). A significant role of the Program Director is to manage the organization in keeping with the strategic plan, mission and vision of the organization. The Program Director will direct program implementation and operations within deadlines defined in strategic plans, annual operating plans, and all policies and procedures as set out by the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead the Team (20% of time)
- Provide the vision for the growth and professionalization of the entire team
- Mentor staff, ensure that the values and principles of the organization are reflected in staff behavior and in project actions
- Continuously monitor staffing structure to ensure that the team operates in the most effective manner possible
- Ensure balance of ethnicity and gender on the team and in the recruitment and hiring process
- Empower staff to exercise their own initiative and function with a high level of independence
- Conduct regular performance reviews
Program Management (50% of time)
- Lead the team to accomplish all goals and expectations within deadlines
- Supervise the activities, including field visits and accompanying field staff in all program areas.
- Guide the staff through developing the most efficient and effective ways of meeting their objectives
- Work with Plant With Purpose to set goals and objectives in keeping with the mission and vision of the organization
- Coordinate with Plant With Purpose to ensure that the strategic plan and annual operating plans fit within the larger international strategy
Manage Partnerships and Oversee Reporting (10% of time)
- Ensure quality relations with all stakeholders. This may be government organizations, research institutions, institutional donors, funding partners staff, individual donors, other NGOs, or any other partner.
- Promote strong ties with local leaders (government, churches, community groups, etc.)
- Develop strong relationships with other local organizations
- Communicate regularly with funding partners about the state of the program and ensure that all reporting requirements are met on time.
- Communicate regularly with funding partners about the state of the program
Board Relations (10% of time)
- Report to the Board
- Organize board meetings and communicate all relevant news to the board in a timely manner
- Equip the Board with all the information necessary to make wise, informed decisions. Prepare reports as requested.
- The PD is the secretary of the board. In this role, you may be asked to assist in recruiting new board members as needed, coordinate any events, learning opportunities, site visits or other activities as needed to cultivate a strong and capable board.
Financial Management (10% of time)
- Ensure internal controls are in place for optimization of financial management
- Oversee the accountant and finance team to ensure that all funds are utilized responsibly and efficiently
- Be accountable for all financial matters and recommend policy and/or procedure changes when necessary to strengthen financial accountability systems
- A vision for integrated community development driven by communities, not project driven, which links the environmental, economic and spiritual aspects of rural farmer households
- Ability to think creatively and pursue new solutions to existing challenges
- Deep knowledge of local context in Andabet, South Gondar, Amhara Region, Ethiopia
- Ability to optimize financial, time and human resources to achieve desired project outcomes
- Ability to relate across cultures
- The PD must personally model a high standard of service, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships
- Must be a citizen of Ethiopia and be able to work legally in Ethiopia
- Excellent community development experience and skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Fluent in Amharic and English both spoken and written
- Good planning skills
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Interest in theology of the care of creation, conservation, forestry, sustainable agriculture and microfinance with demonstrated expertise (training/work experience) in at least one of these areas
- at least 7 years experience in community development
- at least 4 years experience in program management including supervision of multiple positions
- Bachelor's degree required with a preference for a Masters degree in agriculture, rural development, economics, community development or a related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Frequent travel to project sites which at times may be in difficult and physically arduous conditions.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are invited to apply via email. Candidates send their application letter, CV’s, experience and copies of other essential documents. Please include your acceptable salary range in Birr in your cover letter and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. All candidates must send their documents via email in pdf and zip format only, otherwise the organization will not consider the application.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org