You lead data-driven projects across the newsroom. You help set a strategy for both smart use of routine data in everyday pieces and for ways to drive long-term, investigative reporting efforts. You manage data journalists and work with beat reporters on some of our most important work. You bring exceptional curiosity and news judgement to unpack complicated legal and government actions and help reporters to make them relevant and interesting.
What you will do:
- Lead a small team of data reporters and work on some of our biggest, most complicated stories.
- Help reporters use data to break news and tell stories, using data from a range of sources, both internal and external. Help craft methodology published with articles that explains clearly how we do what we do.
- Participate in story idea meetings across the newsroom and discusses data-oriented reporting. Help put in place data standards across teams.
- Work with the data visualization unit to develop graphics to enhance our reporting.
- Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Use statistics and data concepts in a newsroom to produce top-notch journalism.
- Help build best practices standards for data-based reporting.
- Experience analyzing large datasets, managing large databases, and working with web servers.
- 5 years’ experience working for a news organization.
- Experience in leadership, management, or mentorship.
- Proficiency in programming languages R or Python, along with skills in SQL, Excel and web-scraping techniques.
- Demonstrated expertise in data science fundamentals.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org