INN is seeking a NewsMatch Program Manager to coordinate and run the largest collaborative fundraising operations for nonprofit journalism, NewsMatch.
NewsMatch is transforming how communities support the journalism that serves them — generating a groundswell of national and local support for INN member organizations. An annual matching gift campaign powers this effort during the final two months (November and December). Leading up to the campaign, INN collaborates with partner organizations to deliver learning resources that strengthen the fundraising capacity of participating newsrooms and a public awareness campaign to amplify the value and impact of nonprofit journalism.
The NewsMatch Program Manager will manage the implementation of core aspects of the NewsMatch program, including the following activities:
• Project management: Manage the planning and timely execution of program activities, including learning resources (webinars, guides, coaches), marketing and communications, application and reporting cycles, and program changes or improvements.
• Customer service: Be a lead point of contact for newsrooms, funders, and key partners to answer questions and direct to available resources.
• Team management: Oversee relationships with internal staff and external vendors/ contractors; Establish clear expectations, statements of work, and timelines; Track progress towards assignments and goals.
• Meeting coordinator and facilitator: Schedule, plan, and facilitate recurring team meetings around central program areas; Facilitate decision-making amongst key team members.
• Webinar Production: Develop webinar trainings in close collaboration with the NewsMatch team members and learning partners like News Revenue Hub and Google News Initiative; Books guests, manage the registration process, publish recaps and create presentations and materials.
• Strategic collaboration: Collaborate closely with INN staff members, including the Director of Growth Programs, Director of Development, and program managers to design and execute program improvements and fundraising opportunities
Attributes for a successful program manager:
• Outstanding organizational skills. You’re not only organized, but you also help everyone else get organized as well. You can balance the firmness to advance the project on schedule and the flexibility to adjust when needed.
• Strong and effective communication. Many stakeholders interact with NewsMatch — including other staff members, national funders, learning partners, and news leaders across INN’s member network. This role requires you to gather input, share details, and present information (verbally and in writing) efficiently and effectively.
• Demonstrate an ability to manage cross-departmental or multi-stakeholder initiatives. Applicants should have at least five years of experience related to project management or program management, preferably in the nonprofit sector; proven experience managing collaborations or multi-partner projects, using program or project management skills; excellent written and verbal skills, and in particular, the ability to synthesize and organize information.
• Familiarity with fundraising in the nonprofit or news media sector. Position requires the ability to identify training opportunities and resources that newsrooms need to fundraise successfully. A general understanding of development processes or how to build a sustainable nonprofit or new operation would be highly beneficial.
• Passion for building civically engaged communities. This role does not necessarily require you to have experience in nonprofit media. Experience as a program manager in the nonprofit sector would also prepare you well for this job. Whatever your background, the ideal person for the role is motivated and passionate about building civically engaged, and equitable communities.
• Confidence to make decisions. While this position will be supported by fellow INN staff and stakeholders to run the NewsMatch program, you must be confident to make recommendations and decisions. This involves evaluating data and gathering feedback to inform your next steps.
• Seek ways to continuously improve operations. In this position, you will gain a birds-eye view of the worlds of journalism and philanthropy. This provides you with an opportunity to identify challenges and opportunities toward building a more sustainable future for nonprofit news. As a result, you should seek ways to improve the program to meet strategic goals and objectives.
Compensation & Conditions
INN has operated as a remote team since 2016, and this will be a remote position.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $100,000, based on experience, education, and potential; generous equipment, vacation, retirement, and learning benefits. This job involves U.S. travel post-COVID, probably building to 1-2 domestic trips/year.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism and nonprofit communities. INN is an equal opportunity employer and we’re actively seeking to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in news media or philanthropy. Our values.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org