Located in Kalebuka, DRC, Malaika’s mission is to empower Congolese girls and their communities through education and health programs. Founded in 2007, by Congolese-Cypriot model and philanthropist, Noella Coursaris Musunka, Malaika began as a small school for girls and has grown into a fully-functioning ecosystem that consists of a free, accredited school that provides a comprehensive education to 400 girls, a community center that offers a range of programs, including education and vocational training, to 5,000 youth and adults, a clean water program with 21 wells that services over 32,000 people each year and a sustainable agricultural program that provides two nutritious meals each day to students and staff. Malaika’s community-driven approach serves as a model that can be replicated on a global scale in communities around the world. Malaika has been able to accomplish all this as a small non-profit with a budget, in 2021, of $750,000.
Position Summary: As Malaika’s first Development Director (DD), the DD will set up and establish an overall funding raising department in order to significantly increase revenues to support the long- and short-term goals of the organization. The DD will report to the CEO and be part of the Leadership Team. The position is a part-time contract position; 20 hours per week. The position could transition to a full-time position with benefits for the right person.
- Establish the fundraising goals for each fiscal year based on organizational priorities and programmatic needs, in collaboration with the CEO and Executive Leadership Team
- Utilize fundraising best practices.
- Contact prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Establish a Major Gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Develop plans and grow corporate donations.
- Train the Board and Advisory board on major gift fundraising and assign prospects to them.
- Manage grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build a planned giving program with a focus on bequests.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events.
- Staff Board Development Committee meetings.
- Supervise Database Coordinator.
- Oversee creation of publications and website communications to support fund raising activities.
- Report to the CEO and Board on fundraising goals, achievements, and upcoming activities.
- Prepare an annual donor report in print and online.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in non-profit fundraising
- Excellent computer and fundraising database knowledge; Salesforce preferred
- Ability to secure major gifts
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to travel, work occasional weekends and evenings
- Excellent planning, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated professional and mature interaction with other staff and leadership volunteers, sponsors, donors and others to engage them toward the achievement of revenue goals.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with varying priorities at one time.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Marketing, Communications, Business Administration, Nonprofit Management, Social Entrepreneurship; other equivalencies considered.
- Ability to speak and write in French is a plus.
This is a contract position paying $35-40 per hour. There are no benefits at the moment and the contractor is responsible for all taxes. This position can grow into a full-time staff position with benefits.
Please send a resume and cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org