The Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) is the nation’s largest and most influential military association with a robust membership of current, former, and retired military officers and their families. MOAA is dedicated to preserving the earned benefits of all members of the uniformed services and their families and survivors, and to maintaining a strong national defense. Our promise to our members is simple. In fact, it is the same promise they made to their country: Never Stop Serving.
Works collaboratively with other senior editors to identify, assign and handle the editorial and production requirements for Military Officer magazine, MOAA’s special publications, internal and external messaging, and content on all digital platforms. Job includes a focus on developing long-form features and special projects for the magazine and website.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serves as key editorial team member, collaborating with and accepting assignments from the Managing Editor. Chiefly, this relates to feature articles, magazine departments, and non-periodical association publications; Edits assigned features, departments, and publications for length, accuracy, style, grammar, and clarity, and occasionally writes and produces original copy as needed.
- Serves as lead editorial team member for assigned feature articles, magazine departments, and non-periodical association publications, including guides, pamphlets, and reports; edits assigned features, departments, and publications for length, accuracy, style, grammar, and clarity.
- Works closely with the staff writer and freelancers to develop enterprising, investigative and award-worthy features for the magazine, translating them to our website in engaging ways that take advantage of technology and multiple platforms (to include podcasts and video).
- Assists managing editor in daily editorial production requirements of Military Officer and other print and digital publications and multimedia products of the association.
- Prepares production schedules for, oversees status of, and is responsible for delivery of editorial batches to the art/production team to meet prescribed deadlines.
- Researches and writes occasional feature articles, news stories, and other copy for association materials.
- Optimizes assigned content for digital publication.
- Reviews manuscripts submitted for publication.
- Submits invoices for payment for freelance-written content.
- Responds to member queries regarding editorial content.
- In the absence of the managing editor, performs functions of that position.
- Maintains and updates the in-house style guide.
- Strong journalistic, communications, and editing skills.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and to work as a team member to achieve goals.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment while working under the pressure of deadlines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of magazine journalism and professional writing, rewriting, and copy editing techniques.
- Familiarity with basic online publication principles and practices (e.g. search engine optimization).
- Strong computer and desktop publishing skills, specifically in a Macintosh and Microsoft Office environment.
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign software and working knowledge of Associated Press style are desirable.
Professional Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, mass communications, English, or related field. Master’s degree or equivalent work experience desirable.
- At least three years of editorial experience on a military or association magazine or equivalent.
- Experience or familiarity with the uniformed services highly desirable.
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] Specify “Senior Editor” in the subject line. This is a non-exempt, full-time position. MOAA is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org