Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Executive Secretary. The Programme Management Officer reports to the Chief of the Office of the Executive Secretary.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of the Office of the Executive Secretary, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides substantive support to the Executive Secretary (ES) and Chief of the Office in the coordination, management and implementation of the programme of work, thematic priorities of the Office of the Executive Secretary;
- Ensures continuous liaison and collaboration with the thematic divisions and assisting in developing the action plan, monitoring and schedules, inter-divisional work through working groups, multi-thematic projects and joint publications related to a broad range of topics related to the sustainable development policy agenda; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; and ensures follow-up actions;
- Researches, analyses and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Coordinates or supports research and technical cooperation activities on policy development, including reviewing and analysing relevant documents and reports on issues and trends related to global and regional development issues, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Organizes, coordinates, prepares and reviews written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, policy notes, presentations and speeches or other research activities, etc.;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing documents and presentations, and liaising with multiple stakeholders;
- Participates or coordinates in complex field missions, including the provision of guidance to external consultants, assistants and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc; ensures preparatory work and follow-up of selected meetings and official missions of the ES, including supporting the design of their agenda, a compilation of background material and talking-points, dissemination of relevant information and follow-up to commitments;
- Support the monitoring of global and regional events for matters with implications for the strategic position of the Commission and follow-up in consultation with the ES and Chief of Office. Liaises with different Departments at UN headquarters and with other entities of the UN development system, including other Regional Commissions, Funds, Programmes and Specialised organisations as well as other partner institutions in the areas of cooperation;
- Coordinates activities related to programme and project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (work programme, budget, etc.); provide follow-up on the management and allocations resources and on partnerships to enhance efficiency in the delivery of the programme of work;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to a particular sector, functional area or another specialised field. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all work areas;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning& Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, international affairs, development studies or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required;
- Experience working in the Latin America and Caribbean region is required;
- Experience in programme/project management in the context of development operations is required;
- Experience in policy analysis and strategic planning on issues related to development is desirable;
- Experience working in the headquarters of an international organisation, such as the United Nations, is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written Spanish and English are required. Working knowledge of French or Portuguese is desirable;
- NOTE: ‘’Fluency’’ equals a rating of ‘’fluent’’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and ‘’Knowledge of’’ equals a rating of ‘’confident’’ in two of the four areas.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org