Location: United States, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
GiveDirectly is seeking to hire its first-ever in-house legal counsel or advisor. This role will serve as an attorney to support organizational operations, in deep collaboration with the People and Compliance Team, focusing on facilitating all aspects of GiveDirectly’s operations by providing day-to-day legal advice and counsel to GD’s various teams. In particular, the Legal Counsel will facilitate and advise on contracting and compliance processes associated with commercial and grant contracting, as well as donor and regulatory organizational compliance. The position will not serve as a typical General Counsel – which would entail membership on the executive team, reporting to the CEO and dotted line reporting to the Board – but rather as a member of the Finance Team.
This role must have work authorization and be based in the U.S.
Reports to: CFO
- Advising GD on areas of legal risk and supporting its risk management efforts
- Providing basic legal advice and counsel related to GD’s operations including, but not limited to, protecting our intellectual property, complying with non-profit laws, fundraising laws, sanctions, and anti-money laundering laws, anti-corruption laws, international laws and regulations, employment matters, data privacy laws, and other areas of law that GD must comply with
- Collaborate with Product and Field Tech Data Teams on data privacy and security laws across multiple domestic and international jurisdictions (i.e., GDPR)
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating domestic and international vendor/supplier agreements, MOUs, and agreements with Foreign Governments and Ministries
- Providing advice and counsel regarding institutional donor, foundation, and other donor agreements terms and conditions and risks within projects
- Identifying and managing subject matter and external counsel experts for more complex matters
- Working closely with Compliance and Finance on assessing GD’s suite of organizational policies and identifying areas where additional policies may be needed to ensure GD is meeting best practice, and working with the Risk Committee to operationalize these policies
- Working with Partnerships team to establish a robust corporate partnership “cause marketing” program that meets the various U.S. states’ legal guidelines
- Occasionally assisting with internal investigations and responding to external investigators when necessary
Salary: $105,000 - $120,000
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Core competencies and experiences
- Must be based in the U.S. and have at least 3-5 years of prior experience as an attorney working on a broad set of legal issues
- Be someone who loves the challenge of getting to "yes” and comfortable operating outside your comfort zone
- Excited by the challenge of researching and understanding laws in new markets and around new development projects
- Extraordinary and creative problem solver with a commitment to ethical solutions to complex legal and non-legal problems using an approach that facilitates the ultimate objective where possible.
- An exceptional communicator and able to explain complex legal concepts in simple terms with a diverse set of stakeholders and across a wide variety of global cultures
- Able to autonomously lead multiple deliverables quickly without that affecting the quality of your work
- Have a Juris Doctorate from an accredited U.S. law school and currently in good standing to the Bar association
- Experience with U.S., U.K. and EU grant compliance laws, rules, and agreement clauses including a basic understanding of differences between French and English common law as it may apply to contracting in Anglo/Francophone Africa
- GD will have a strong preference for attorneys with prior experience working for a non-profit or company with international operations in higher-risk countries
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve
Apply directly on our website here: https://givedirectly.hire.trakstar.com/jobs/fk0st6q?cjb_hash=O_gvka68&apply_now=true