Avaaz is an international campaigning and advocacy organisation that provides its global membership of over 69 million people with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting human rights across the world, saving our planet from climate change and other threats, and fighting to stop disinformation and other cyber threats from undermining our democracies.
Campaigners are at the core of the organisation’s campaigning and advocacy work, from research and development of global and national online campaigns, to offline stunts and campaign deliveries.
This is an exciting position at the heart of one of the most innovative and promising public organizations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to help develop and pursue large scale social change efforts.
As a Campaigner, you will support and help lead the research, development, and running of campaigns on a range of national and global issues, helping to channel the time and money of our members in the most effective ways possible. This position will report to one of Avaaz’s Campaign Directors.
- Monitoring world events and identifying opportunities for strong campaigns.
- Consulting with partners and experts and supporting the development of a strong and innovative strategy, policy, and messages
- Drafting campaign emails and other communications.
- Assisting Campaign Directors in organizing campaign actions and logistics, from ad buys to public petition deliveries
- Public speaking and media.
- Publishing and editing online content.
- Localizing and rewriting communications in other languages, depending on fluency.
- Helping to shape the overall strategic direction of the organization, and at times supporting other tasks of the organisation including recruitment, team building and management, and special projects.
This is a challenging role that requires hard work, flexibility, good judgment, initiative and an ability to deliver results. The core competencies which any successful candidate will display are:
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Creativity, strategic thinking and campaign planning skills;
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment and social change.
- Understanding of how civic advocacy and public campaigning function.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Enthusiasm for a wide range of global issues, and a readiness to move swiftly between them, while being able to rapidly focus in on the details of each.
- Tech savvy.
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Fluency in other languages is desirable
Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, Gdocs, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world. For this position, the candidate would ideally be based in Asia or Latin America, although other locations may be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organizations. Specific benefits also range with location, but all include 5 weeks paid vacation per year, 10 paid holidays, phone and home internet reimbursement, out-of-home office/co-working reimbursement, and professional development funds.
Avaaz’s Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
As a global organization with millions of members around the world, it’s important to us that our team reflects the diversity needed to lead a movement of people from across the planet, rising to meet some of the most complex challenges humanity has ever faced. We believe we can only succeed by building a diverse team full of fresh perspectives and original ideas, and we are committed to creating a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Our team includes native and non-native English speakers, the self-taught and university educated, people with all sorts of professional backgrounds. If doing the job you just read about would make you excited to come to work every day, if you’re talented, hard-working and committed to making a difference - we want you to apply.
Avaaz does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, language and accent, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, family/parental or marital status, political affiliation, religion, socioeconomic class/caste, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have suggestions for us on how to put these values into practice in our hiring process, we’d value your input. Please write to us at [email protected] with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.
We’ll provide reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities or special needs to participate in the application process, so please let us know if you have such a request when you apply.
There is no deadline to apply. The position will be opened until filled.