The NATO Parliamentary Assembly (NATO PA) provides a critical forum for international parliamentary dialogue on an array of security, diplomatic, political, and economic matters. Its principal objective is to facilitate dialogue among Alliance parliamentarians on the key shared challenges confronting North America and Europe. Through its reports, the seminars and delegation visits it organises, the Assembly also helps parliamentarians develop a better understanding of these challenges. Assembly discussions and debates help forge the democratic consensus that strengthens transatlantic solidarity. The Assembly's Brussels-based International Secretariat is staffed by approximately 30 professionals from NATO member countries.
The NATO PA is currently seeking four Researchers to support the policy team within the International Secretariat in Brussels. Eligibility is restricted to citizens of NATO PA member states and partners. The application deadline is 31 May 2022 at midnight (CEST).
- Contribute, at the request and under the supervision of Committee Directors or Senior Management, to the research and writing necessary for the elaboration of Assembly reports;
- Produce other documents such as background information documents, speeches, and communication materials;
- Provide support during the parliamentary Sessions of the Assembly, including note taking and summary writing;
- Researchers may be asked to travel with the policy team on Committee visits and seminars to take notes, draft mission reports and contribute to communication activities;
- Occasionally complete basic administrative tasks and support various departments;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- Master's degree or PhD in Political Sciences, International Relations or a related field;
- Professional work experience in government, international organisations or policy research institutions is preferred;
- Good understanding of the NATO PA and NATO and their mandates;
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills;
- Interest in conducting research on a wide range of topics;
- Good time management skills and flexibility;
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Professional fluency in English and/or French; knowledge of another language is an asset.
- Researchers are hired for approximately 9 months, starting at the beginning of September and ending at the beginning of June. The exact dates vary each year based on the NATO PA's calendar of activities;
- Researchers receive a monthly net salary of EUR 1,700 euros;
- They are provided with a basic health insurance policy for the duration of their temporary employment;
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Brussels are considered on a case-by-case basis, in compliance with the financial procedures of the Assembly.
More details about the employment conditions will be provided to selected candidates upon receipt of an official offer from the Director of the Research Programme.
Materials required for applying:
- A curriculum vitae, clearly indicating nationality and language proficiency;
- A cover letter of up to 750 words, explaining areas of interest and competence as well as availability;
- A writing sample of no more than five pages on a relevant topic (i.e., foreign policy, international relations, defence, and security, etc.). Excerpts of longer pieces are acceptable. Sources and/or citations may be included in addition to the 5-page sample;
- Two academic or professional references and their up-to-date contact details.
Submitting your application
- All applications must be submitted in either English or French;
- All application materials must be gathered and sent together as one single PDF document;
- Applications must contain all the above required documents. Please do not include any other supplementary documents. Incomplete applications will automatically be discarded;
- If you have already applied for the position in the past, you are welcome to re-apply. To do so, you must re-submit all required application materials;
- Applications are accepted by email only. Cover letters may be addressed to the Director of the Research Programme;
- Applications should be sent to: [email protected]
Due to the large number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted. Please do not make additional inquiries by email or phone. The selection process can take up to eight weeks. We will announce when the recruitment process is complete on the Research Programme page of the NATO PA website. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individual feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org