The Research Fellow (RF) serves in the CSCMA. His/her major duties and responsibilities are to support the INSS and CSCMA missions as follows:
- Research: The RF conducts directed and independent research and produces scholarly studies and strategic analyses involving China and Taiwan. The RF is expected to produce the equivalent of two original, high-quality research articles published in peer-reviewed journals annually. The articles can be scholarly or policy oriented. The RF follows rigorous scholarly protocols based on sound research methodology, data collection, and evaluation to shape U.S. strategy and inform U.S. policy. This effort includes promoting research products through short articles and opinion pieces/blog posts.
- The RF also participates in collaborative relationships as a member of an INSS group or research team assigned to examine a particular national security policy issue or question. The RF keeps abreast of strategic studies, U.S. policy, and research activities in their area of expertise across the DoD, the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Services, other government agencies, industry, and academia. As required, the RF travels to the region and domestically to attend meetings, conferences, and symposia to engage with DoD staff and agencies, Combatant Commands, government agencies, academic institutions, and businesses. The RF ensures all actions contribute in a professional and positive manner to timely attainment of assigned group or team objectives.
- Engagement: The RF interacts with and presents study and research results to senior DoD officials on the Joint Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Combatant Commands, and other government agencies and civilian institutions and businesses. The RF delivers oral briefings, organizes and participates in briefings, roundtables, workshops, or conferences (or their equivalent), and prepares and disseminates event and trip reports and other analytical products throughout DoD and other relevant government agencies.
- Teaching/JPME: The RF contributes to the intellectual community of JPME institutions in general and to the National Defense University in particular. This effort includes guest lecturing or contributing to teaching in core or elective courses at NDU, contributing to curriculum developing, collaborating on programs targeting student, faculty, and/or staff development, and/or significant student mentoring or advisory programs. Teaching support is based on the needs of the colleges but also with consideration of RF expertise and ongoing research plans.
- University Service: The RF is expected to provide support to research and scholarship across NDU. These activities include but are not limited to; conducting peer reviews of research and publications by other INSS Fellows, serving on a university/college hiring or promotion boards, maintaining an NDU-wide community of interest (COIs), participating in NDU academic and other programs to enhance student and faculty scholarship, supporting NDU senior leader engagements, and developing and hosting a conference and written report for the NDU community and DOD stakeholders.
- Administrative Requirements: The RF is expected to comply with all administrative requirements in an effective and timely manner. This standard includes completing conference, travel, and country clearance requests, travel vouchers, trip reports, training requirements, and other administrative forms and tasks as required.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- If selected, you will be required to provide information regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status for the purposes of determining appropriate workplace safety protocols, such as those related to masking, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- EDUCATION: Master's degree (PhD strongly preferred) from a regionally accredited university (or international equivalent) in international relations/affairs, political science, public policy, national security studies or Asian studies with a focus on China. Advanced professional reading ability in Chinese sufficient to work with Chinese language source materials.
- RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS: Knowledge of scholarly research methodologies, demonstrated ability to identify, acquire, and analyze primary and secondary sources of information pertaining to strategic and security studies in general and China in particular, and ability to lead research teams. Substantial record of quality peer-reviewed professional publications, books, or reports related to strategic and security studies involving China specifically and Asia generally, including on the implications for U.S. national security policy and defense plans. OR, as a practitioner with at least 5 years professional experience, having held senior positions in government or the private sector with proven analytic skills and an extensive record of producing quality written reports for high-ranking officials.
- ENGAGEMENT: Engagement with senior U.S. government officials, international counterparts, or other professional audiences on international/regional security, defense policy, and military issues and/or experience working with U.S. national security, defense strategy, and policy decision-making institutions. Skill and experience preparing and presenting complex material resulting from research analyses to DoD senior leaders and/or other professional audiences.
- TEACHING & ACADEMIC SUPPORT: Experience in guest lecturing or teaching or developing curricula for courses in relevant areas involving international affairs, national security policy and decision-making with an emphasis on China.
EDUCATION: Master's degree (PhD strongly preferred) from a regionally accredited university (or international equivalent) in international relations/affairs, political science, public policy, Asian studies or national security studies with a focus on China. Advanced professional reading ability in Chinese sufficient to work with Chinese language source materials.
Official transcripts will be required at time of selection to verify educational requirements are met.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org