The Shaikh Group (TSG) is seeking to hire two full-time Political Officers to join the team working on its Syria Initiative. Through this project, TSG has facilitated wide-ranging consultations with hundreds of Syrians from across the country’s political and social divides, at both an elite and community level, allowing these parties to build trust and generate consensus around ideas for preventing conflict and advancing a political settlement. In 2022 and beyond, the Initiative will remain focused largely on issues surrounding governance at the subnational level – in particular, in parts of northeast and northwest Syria – and on the development of political understandings to introduce more sustainable, inclusive governance and security arrangements for those areas.
We are looking for two Political Officers to be based in the region and to play an integral role in the design and delivery of these activities in support of mediation and peacebuilding in Syria. The Political Officer swill report to the Syria Team Lead and will contribute directly to shaping the substantive direction of the project, facilitating workshops, developing analysis, and engaging with Syrian and international stakeholders at all levels.
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis on the Syria conflict and other relevant topics to inform TSG programming.
- Drive engagement with Syrian stakeholders from different political, civil society, activist and professional backgrounds.
- Design and facilitate dialogue workshops and other interventions convening Syrian and international representatives.
- Undertake regular work visits in the region, alongside other members of the Syria team.
- Draft reports, advocacy papers and briefings related to project outcomes.
- Engage with international policymakers to promote project outcomes.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with relevant international and Syrian organisations.
- Liaise with international partners and support project development and reporting as required.
- A university degree in relevant discipline (e.g., Middle East studies, political science, international relations).
- At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience working on Syria.
- Strong understanding of Middle East and international affairs, with a preferred focus on Syria and the Levant.
- Excellent political research and analysis skills.
- Excellent communication, drafting and editing skills in English.
- Fluent spoken and proficient written Arabic.
- Ability to take initiative and to execute multiple tasks in a responsible and organized manner, as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel across the region as required.
- Previous experience working on mediation support or peacebuilding.
- Other relevant language skills (e.g., Turkish and Kurdish).