UNRWA is the largest United Nations agency operating in the Middle East and provides education, health, social services, and humanitarian aid to 5.7 million Palestine refugees living in West Bank, Gaza, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. The UNRWA Representative Office to the EU (ROEU) works at the crossroads of advocacy, communication and visibility, liaising with different EU institutions and services such as the European Parliament, the European Commission, the European External Action Service, as well as with EU member states.
To help us in this, we are looking for an EU Affairs Intern to join our well-tuned Brussels Team for a challenging but exciting 5-6-month full-time voluntary internship.
The internship will focus on supporting the daily work of a small, multicultural team of experts to which you will be fully integrated. You will leave having gained specific knowledge on advocacy, communication and outreach at EU level, and insights on the work of the EU institutions in the realm of foreign policy and humanitarian aid.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily monitoring of relevant news and updates from the EU Institutions and EU media on relevant EU policy and political developments.
- Attend meetings of relevance to the office work and visibility, drafting minutes and / or reporting back (European Parliament committee meetings, conferences, internal UNRWA meetings); supporting advocacy activities towards European Institutions and other stakeholders.
- Assisting with communication activities, including: drafting of communication material- such as newsletters and social media posts -s, and proofreading of content as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of high-level visits of UNRWA representatives to Brussels, including preparation of substantive background documents.
- Maintain and manage ROEU’s contact database and general mailbox, and provide other administrative support as required.
- Assist in gathering and updating of information and contacts related to the EU Institutions, EU Member States, Civil Society Organisations, media and other sources.
- Assist with general requests for information pertaining to Palestine refugees.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as European Studies, Political Science, International Relations Interest in EU decision-making, EU Foreign Policy, Middle East issues;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English.
- Knowledge of German, Dutch and French would be of advantage.
- Good communication (orally and in writing) and interpersonal skills.
- Good research and drafting skills.
- Ability to work within a small multicultural team.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively.
- A quick learner with a positive and proactive approach to work.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and databases.
- Eligibility to reside and work in Belgium.
- Availability and commitment to a fulltime 5 – 6 month internship.
Send a detailed CV and cover letter to: [email protected] by 7 August 2022with the subject “EU Affairs Intern”. Interviews are scheduled to take place end in early September 2022. The projected start of the internship is early October 2022.
Due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to each individual candidate. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org