Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the regional shared structure of the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations (DPPA-DPO), Eastern Africa Division. Under the overall guidance of and reporting to the Director of the Division, the Senior Political Affairs Officer will act as Team Leader of the East Africa & Indian Ocean Team.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Formulates political affairs strategies; develops a vision or direction for work of the East Africa & Indian Ocean Team; proposes policy directives and plan of action for immediate and long range solutions to political problems in general and in specific geographical areas; identifies emerging issues pertaining to the work of the team; analyses implications and makes recommendations on possible strategies and measures.
- Plans and implements the operational activities related to the work of the team, i.e., conflict prevention and resolution, post-conflict rehabilitation, constitutional support and elections, political and governance institution-building, civil society support work, etc.; incorporates an integrated approach that includes a rights-based dimension, conflict prevention sensitivity, and a gender perspective into the policy, planning and operational activities of the team.
- Plans, coordinates and manages programmes, projects and activities requiring interdepartmental and/or interagency involvement and participation.
- Prepares briefing notes and talking points for the Secretary-General, Senior Advisers, Under-Secretary-General/Assistant Secretary-General.
- Leads and directs a work team; plans and allocates work assignments; coaches, mentors, and evaluates staff; participates in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs.
- Acts as coordinator for complex coordination and support missions, including strategic and technical assessment missions.
- Manages, coordinates, organizes and supervises research on a variety of political issues in East Africa & Indian Ocean region.
- Represents the division at round tables, seminars and conferences.
- Responds to/prepares responses to comments, statements and queries.
- Formulates the programme of work, budget and medium-term plan of the team and participates in the overall approval of the programme of work, and administrative matters concerning the Division; coordinates and oversees work of colleagues and team.
- Develops and maintains relations with senior government officials and advises them on issues and policies of mutual concern.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the work of intergovernmental bodies, the work of the United Nations and its related bodies concerned with political, economic, social and related matters. Ability to evaluate international political situations in area of assignment. Ability to manage and coordinate many different levels and participants in operations in both the field and UN common system. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- JUDGEMENT/DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) degree in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required.
- Experience in political analysis, as well as in strategic or programme planning, is required.
- Experience of management in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams, is required.
- Knowledge of the political situation in East Africa & Indian Ocean is desirable.
- Experience of serving in UN field Missions, UN field office and at UN Headquarters is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post advertised, fluency in English both oral and written is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org