Independent Evaluation Office of UNDP
The Independent Evaluation Office of UNDP supports the oversight and accountability functions of the Executive Board and the management of UNDP, UNCDF and UNV. The structural independence of the Office underpins and guarantees its freedom to conduct evaluations and report evaluation results to the Executive Board. The IEO conducts independent evaluations and other activities according to its programme of work approved by the Executive Board. The work of the IEO includes:
- Conducting thematic programmatic and other independent evaluations, ensuring strategic and representative coverage of UNDP programmes and results against national, regional and global scales;
- Developing evaluation standards, procedures, criteria and methodological guidance for UNDP evaluations, and contributing to innovation in evaluation methodology and dissemination of good practices;
- Providing UNDP and its development partners with timely knowledge and lessons drawn from evaluations that can feed into development programming at global, regional and country levels;
- Assessing the quality of decentralized evaluations of UNDP, UNCDF and UNV, and monitoring compliance with best international evaluation and data collection standards, including the UNEG norms and standards, code of conduct and ethical guidelines;
- Communicating its evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations through multiple channels and maintaining a searchable, publicly accessible repository of all UNDP, UNCDF and UNV evaluations, and respective management responses and resulting actions;
- Supporting the development of communities of practice, and partnering with professional evaluation networks to improve evaluation utility and credibility;
- Supporting the harmonization of the evaluation function in the United Nations system, including contributing to the annual work programme of UNEG, participating in systemwide evaluations, and prioritizing joint evaluations with United Nations organizations; and
- Promoting national ownership and leadership in evaluation through country-led and joint evaluations.
The Research Consultants will be supervised by the Chief of Section, Knowledge and Data Management section, and will work in close collaboration with other units of IEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The Junior Research Analyst will provide direct support to the implementation of IEO’s evaluations and synthesis products being planned for 2022-2023. He/she will be responsible for supporting the preliminary research and data collection and analysis, working closely with IEO evaluation managers. The work of Junior Research Analyst will be guided by IEO’s knowledge and data management strategy, as well as country programme, thematic evaluation and evaluation synthesis research and process manuals.
The specific tasks include, but not limited to, the following:
- Survey and gathering of UNDP corporate programme documents, results reports, country and financial data, and any other information relevant to the countries and programmes under review, as well as any externally available background material relevant to the themes, countries and programmes under review;
- Compilation of data and uploading of background material to IEO’s common document portal;
- Initial desk reviews of material, preparation of analytical material, including infographics for use in the evaluation reports as well as for other IEO knowledge products;
- Translation of documents, as required; and
- Provision of other general research support, as required by the IEO.
The Junior Research Analyst will work as a member of the knowledge and data management section, contributing to a strong and reliable research base at the IEO, in support of efficient and effective execution of evaluation activities and high quality evaluations.
- Vision, Mission: Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Integrity: Demonstrates integrity by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Achieve Results: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships. Acts as a team player and facilitate teamwork; and Maintains confidentiality.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
- Research and analytical skills, including ability to collect reliable, valid and accurate data and information; and quickly digest and analyze a diverse range of information and data collected from varied sources;
- Use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, TEAMS, SharePoint;
- Proven statistical abilities and knowledge of software available for quantitative analysis, including databases, spreadsheets and statistical packages;
- Ability to prioritize tasks; and plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals (project management skills).
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Time management and ability to handle a large volume of work;
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Economics, Public Administration, Political Science, International Relations, or other relevant areas.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
A minimum of 2 years of experience in conducting research in the international development context;
- Experience in using various research qualitative and quantitative methodologies;
- Experience in designing monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Experience in using computer and office software packages, web-based data management systems;
- Prior work experience at or familiarity with the work of UNDP and/or other UN agencies;
- Knowledge of latest international development issues in UNDP’s areas of work (e.g., poverty reduction, democratic governance, human rights, environment and natural resources management, climate change, disaster risk reduction and resilience, gender equality and women’s empowerment)
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Additional working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is preferred.
- Competence in other UN languages is an asset.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org