Research Analyst, Nations in Transit
Founded in 1941, Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of democracy around the globe. Our Research and Analysis division produces cutting-edge reports on topics such as the state of democratic institutions, key tactics employed by modern authoritarians, and how the internet is restricted and increasingly manipulated to undermine human rights, particularly of society’s most vulnerable.
Freedom House is seeking a Research Analyst to help produce Nations in Transit (NIT), our annual index of democracy in the 29-country region stretching from Central Europe to Central Asia. Responsibilities will include analyzing and evaluating the democratic trajectories of the countries covered in NIT, and project implementation and management. This is a full-time position ideally based in New York City or Washington, DC, with some flexibility for remote locations in the United States. Candidates physically based in the US must possess US work authorization. The Research Analyst will report to the Senior Research Analyst leading the NIT project.
Under supervision, the Research Analyst will be responsible for:
- Recruiting, training, and liaising with consultant-experts from the NIT region;
- Editing and fact-checking consultant-authored reports on the 29 countries covered in NIT;
- Providing administrative and logistical support to the project, including, but not limited to: booking accommodation and transportation; drafting contracts; disbursing payments; and organizing meetings with external stakeholders, often across multiple time zones;
- Soliciting and processing peer reviews from the academic community;
- Using descriptive statistics to parse current and historical NIT data, and identify trends;
- Providing regional expertise to the research and analysis team, including for Freedom on the Net and Freedom in the World;
- Collaborating with other Freedom House departments, such as advocacy, communications, and international programs teams, to coordinate project implementation and rollout, including by preparing public-facing booklets, briefing decks, and talking points;
- Representing Freedom House to the media, civil society, policymakers, potential donors, and other externals stakeholders;
- Assisting with funding proposals, donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of the project’s impact.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Please note that we do not expect anyone to tick every single box for this position. Also, if you have relevant experience not listed here, please tell us about it in your application.
- A master’s degree in political science, international relations, or a related field, plus 2-3 years' related experience. Candidates with equivalent training/experience, relevant experience, and a passion for democracy work are also encouraged to apply;
- Superior English-language verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated interest in one or more countries in the NIT region (with special consideration given to applicants with a focus on the Western Balkans and/or Central Europe);
- Editorial, project management, and/or social science research experience;
- Demonstrated interest in democracy, governance, human rights, and/or a related subject area;
- A working knowledge of one or more European/Eurasian languages;
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace;
- The ability to forge consensus among people with divergent viewpoints and from different cultural backgrounds;
- Comfort working with limited supervision on a range of long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise;
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including demonstrated experience speaking to and interacting with external stakeholders;
- Superb organization skills, including the means to track many moving parts and stay on top of multiple, occasionally overlapping deadlines.
- The hired candidate is expected to start in early September. Staff members are currently working remotely or partially remotely due to Covid-19. Freedom House maintains offices in New York, NY and Washington, DC. Under appropriate circumstances, Freedom House will consider requests to work remotely within the US.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 403(b) retirement account with a 10-percent employer match program, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, a flexible spending account, and more.
- The starting salary for the Research Analyst position is $62,000. Final salary calculations are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization.
- The role may require occasional domestic and international travel to participate in conferences, briefings, and workshops.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with Freedom House, please call 202-227-4308 or email [email protected].
Directions to Apply
Applicants are required to complete our online application form to submit a 1-2-page resume and a 1-page cover letter. Cover letters should be responsive to the key responsibilities and qualifications presented in the job description. Please combine and submit both resume and cover letter as a single PDF file. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted through August 14, and candidates will be expected to submit a short writing exercise during the interview process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org