citiesRISE is a new multi-stakeholder initiative formed as a response to the concern that, despite the existence of effective models, existing fragmented and small-scale efforts fail to address the rising tide of mental health problems globally. The mission of citiesRISE is to mobilize leadership, resources and practical action by scaling evidence-based approaches and promising models for mental health through a network of cities, particularly young people within underserved populations, through proven methodologies of collective action and a network approach.
citiesRISE launched in 2016 and is now positioned to dramatically deepen its impact through the expansion of current initiatives and the launch of new global programming to bring meaningful and sustainable progress to communities across the world. citiesRISE has established substantive partnerships to catalyze collective actions across sectors fundamentally transform the story of mental health around the world. Learn more at cities-rise.org.
About the Position
The Director of Finance and Operations is a unique opportunity for a professional with a robust background in nonprofit financial management and with experience in global operations, to design and implement finance solutions and strategies. This position will be a strategic thought-partner reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager who will lead in the following areas: finance, accounting, business planning, budgeting, grant management, and supporting staff growth in these areas.
The Director of Finance and Operations will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as citiesRISE continues to grow, enhance its quality programming, and builds capacity. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated, intellectually curious leader with deep experience in global finance and operations to help develop a fast-growing, highly respected global organization.
Finance and Accounting
● Overseeing the development of long-range and short-range financial plans, multi-year operating budget, short-term projected cash flow and grant sources / use of funds to ensure organizational health and sustainability; monitoring the budget and ensuring that resources are allocated to drive maximum return on investment.
● Advising citiesRISE management on business model considerations, including the structuring of grant contracts, indirect cost structures, etc.
● Developing and implementing fiscal strategy with great emphasis on allocation of resources across functional expenses to meet the standards of the industry and donor requirements.
● Overseeing and managing the daily operations of all accounting components in coordination with the outsourced accounting firm, including timely monthly closings, class allocations, reconciliations, and compliance.
● Conducting financial analysis, developing reports, metrics and analysis to extract strategically important information to assist the management team with decision-making.
● Working with citiesRISE team on multi-year budgeting and modeling that will include revenue, expense, cash forecasting and key financial indicators.
● Creating initiative-wide budget and projections. Providing budget vs. actual reports to the Board, the management team, and other team members.
● Developing and continually improving policies and procedures in the areas of portfolio budgeting, fund projections, reporting and other related areas
● Overseeing audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with audit firm and other service providers.
● Supporting citiesRISE project proposals and budget preparation; assisting with budgets and funder reports; reviewing proposals.
● Reviewing contracts and ensuring accurate expenditure reporting and compliance.
● Working with City Directors and City Managers to comply with funders’ terms and conditions, monitor expenditures, provide expenditure projections and sub-recipient administration.
● Designing and building financial management infrastructure for citiesRISE initiatives.
● Supporting the launch of operations in one or more international contexts, including, but not necessarily limited to, identifying relevant operations partners and staff, ensuring appropriate deployment of systems, policies, and procedures, and supporting overall operational launch.
● Supporting citiesRISE staff by maintaining well-organized and efficient office operations, systems and procedures.
● Overseeing contract agreement review, creation, and oversight.
● Supporting HR in coordination with PEO provider.
● Managing any external agencies and/or suppliers to support office services.
● Developing and maintaining office/space policies and enforcement, and managing telecom, IT and other systems
● Proactively identifying maintenance issues and immediately referring the problem to the appropriate channels, being the first line of contact for all operations-related issues.
● Assisting with other administrative tasks and providing ad hoc support as necessary.
citiesRISE is looking for candidates with a mastery of hands-on accounting, exceptional critical thinking skills, deep financial management experience in an international non-profit and/or government-funded grants environment, and advanced capacity for systems thinking and team leadership.
● Authentic connection to healthy communities and a passion for the work of citiesRISE.
● Minimum of a BA in related field (Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance) or equivalent; ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree.
● 10+ years of professional experience managing nonprofit funds, grants, private and federal grant accounting and administration, and international nonprofit finances. Experience in a start-up environment a plus.
● Experience working with and/or launching additional legal entities in international context highly desirable.
● Experience leading all aspects of non-profit accounting and finance.
● A proven track record in grant finance management.
● Advanced proficiency in Excel.
● Advanced proficiency in information technology and standard software programs to effectively utilize account systems, MS Office applications, Google Apps, and other data management system, as well as experience in financial systems integration.
● Demonstrated experience navigating contractual language.
● Excellent data presentation skills and the ability to translate financial concepts and data clearly to a wide range of audiences.
● Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and implement financial management infrastructure (e.g., developing operational policies).
● Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of citiesRISE initiative.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org