The Socialists and Democrats Group in the European Parliament is looking for an experienced French language Press Officer.
- Close cooperation with the Head of Unit and colleagues to ensure the smooth running of the Unit and the successful completion of its tasks;
- Proposing media initiatives to the Head of Unit;
- Specific responsibility for media relations on issues within certain committees/horizontal working groups;
- Responsibility for drafting press releases, lines to take, opinion-pieces, speeches, speaking points and video stories;
- Briefing journalists and organising press conferences or other media contacts;
- Liaison with the accredited press corps in Brussels and with journalists elsewhere, particularly in France and with the French press corps in Brussels and Strasbourg;
- Under supervision of the Head of Unit, liaison with relevant S&D Group members in the execution of media initiatives;
- Regular provision of material for use on the Group’s website, in liaison with the Head of Unit;
- Responsibility for contributing to the regular maintenance and updating of distribution lists;
- Ensuring that information is appropriately targeted on relevant specialist media;
- Liaise with policy advisors, social media team, audio-visual team, web and publications team and others on the communication in relevant policy areas;
- Advise on content to be published on the website;
- Write and proof read FR language press releases and communications for the Group when required;
- Translation of material for the Unit as required;
- Supervision of trainees.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- Minimum three years of professional experience as press officer or equivalent;
- Knowledge of Community mechanisms and the European institutions;
- Very good conceptual and writing abilities;
- Very good ability to analyse and summarise a subject;
- Very good communication skills.
- For functional reasons, French native or equivalent, and excellent knowledge of English;
- Knowledge of other official languages of the European Union will be taken into consideration.
The S&D Group insists, in particular, on the fact that this position requires confidentiality, availability and flexibility, a methodical and diplomatic approach, discretion, a capacity for rapid adaptation to variable workloads. Candidates must be able to demonstrate initiative, both independently and as a member of a team, and adapt to a multicultural environment.
Frequent travel outside Belgium may be required, especially to Strasbourg during the parliamentary session.
Duration of the contract: 1 year (9 months’ probation period), starting January 2023, renewable up to 31 December 2024.
Send us a motivation letter and a CV by 28 September at noon (Brussels time), with reference "Press officer".
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org