IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Corporate Support Vice Presidency supports the implementation of IFC’s business strategy and is specifically responsible for communications, outreach, and partnerships, alongside other core functions including HR, budget, and IT.
Within the Corporate Support Vice Presidency, the Communications and Outreach Department is responsible for managing IFC’s communications and outreach strategy with a focus on the Corporation’s business priorities. The department has five integrated units that facilitate strategic engagement with both internal and external stakeholders. The units include Corporate Communications, Regional Communications, Creative Productions, Public Affairs & Risk management and Global Industry and Thematic Communications.
The Global Industry and Thematic Communications unit delivers global thematic/sectoral communications and outreach by developing strategic communications outreach plans; producing, publishing, and promoting industry insights and thematic reports; organizing and marketing global events; promoting IFC’s thought leadership; and coordinating across the World Bank Group communications network to showcase IFC’s impact. The team works closely with IFC’s Regional Communications unit on outreach related to country and regional level investments and sector trends, and with IFC’s Public Affairs & Risk team to communicate IFC’s development impact.
The selected communications officer will join the Global Industry and Thematic Communications unit as part of the communications teams working on Global Infrastructure and Global Agribusiness, Health, and other industry outreach, working closely with the two Senior Communications Leads in charge and across the WBG communications family. Half of their time will be dedicated to outreach on Global Infrastructure, focusing on energy, mining, sustainable infrastructure advisory while the other half will be dedicated to Global Manufacturing, Agribusiness, Services (housing, tourism, retail) and Health, with a focus on sustainable agriculture, advisory projects within the main industries, and health investments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work closely with the industry communications leads to support the business and outreach execution of plans for the relevant sectors with a focus on:
Messaging, content development and editing:
Take a deep dive into IFC’s Global Infrastructure, Energy and Mining and Global Manufacturing, Agribusiness, and Services, and Health to secure strong narratives, understand challenges and opportunities, and master key facts and figures
- Adopt an issues-driven and story-driven approach to messaging development to ensure that IFC’s voice on these industries can resonate globally and stand out
- Develop impactful content with tone and format tailored to the needs and audiences
- On a continuous basis, review and edit content with an objective to provide compelling and impactful messages
Communications strategies development and execution:
- Proactively contribute to development and implementation of communications strategies for the targeted industries
- Plan, design, prepare, execute, and monitor tactical activities and campaigns about IFC’s work in the defined industries
- Accordingly, write and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of both routine and complex best-in-class outreach products for print or digital purposes (e.g., backgrounders, media packets, news releases, features, op-eds, talking points for media or speaking opportunities, blogs, presentations, brochures, Q&As, websites, fact sheets, social media, briefing notes, etc.) that promote the strategic and timely flow of information and major issues about IFC and the industries
- Help manage events, including industry-specific conferences, and annual and spring World Bank Group meetings
- Initiate, build, and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and external contacts (including media, partners, IFC clients, online media hubs, etc.) and explore when possible strategic partnerships to strengthen IFC’s reach on the relevant sectors
- Oversee planning, coordination, scheduling, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for seamless execution of campaigns and other communications-related activities, as well as smooth and timely distribution of related products, with the support of the corporate communications team.
- Develop or adapt content for internal engagement campaigns aimed at raising awareness on the specific industries.
Monitoring, risk identification and mitigation:
- Proactive monitoring of investment trends, social, economic, and political developments to inform media plans and strategic campaigns.
- Advise sector teams, and technical teams on news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact IFC and its work and help to determine appropriate strategic responses.
- Contribute to reputational risk mitigation strategies related to infrastructure and agribusiness sectors.
- Master’s degree and minimum of six years of relevant professional experience, in a relevant discipline (communications, journalism, economics, finance, business administration, development studies, or international relations)
- Experience in communicating complex technical concepts in a clear, compelling, and concise manner and developing messages that are accessible to a wide range of audiences
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills in English and ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and engaging style for a variety of platforms including digital media. Fluency in other languages a plus.
- Excellent organizational and project-management skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results meeting agreed objectives and within sometimes very tight deadlines
- Proven ability to capture trends, case studies and innovations in communications products in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner
- Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and to be innovative as new communications challenges arise
- Self-motivated, creative, and ability to think out of the box and proactively propose new ideas and approaches
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team environment
- Experience in communication about infrastructure, health, sustainable development, or agribusiness project a plus.
- Experience in sensitive communications and reputation management is a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org