The EUTOPIA Alliance is looking for a new Secretary General to start ideally in February 2023. The position is based in Brussels at the VUB and reports to the Chair of EUTOPIA.
You will work in collaboration with the EUTOPIA Chair and Board of Directors, EUTOPIA’s Associate and Global Partners, the Student Council and EUTOPIA staff and students across our 10 partners.
The Secretary General will be a:
A trusted advisor to the EUTOPIA Chair and Board of Directors with a focus on governance
- Deliver EUTOPIA’s governance processes, provide advice and support to the EUTOPIA Chair and Board of Directors, ensuring that decisions are implemented effectively.
- Monitor, and report on the progress of EUTOPIA projects and activities.
- Monitor European and international developments in education and research policy to provide policy expertise and advice to the Board.
A manager and coordinator of the alliance
- Translates the EUTOPIA Strategy into a strategic delivery and action plan, and lead on the implementation of that plan (working closely with the Alliance Management Board).
- Coordinate EUTOPIA activities across all projects, ensuring connections and synergies between projects and activities.
- Lead on the identification and pursuit of alternative, long-term funding sources for EUTOPIA activities, including approaches to foundations and private individuals as well as competitive international, European and national sources.
A facilitator networker and engager
- Act as the spokesperson for the alliance (when appropriate — in conjunction with the Chair and Board).
- Build a strong network with external stakeholders and policymakers, particularly within the EU policy arena and associated ecosystems as they pertain to EUTOPIA.
- Promote and advocate the EUTOPIA vision, strategy, and policies to internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify the most effective interventions to influence policy for research and education in Europe in line with the EUTOPIA Strategy.
A leader and manager of the central office and team
- Lead and manage the EUTOPIA core team and office initially based at the VUB and the wider team of staff delivering EUTOPIA activities within member institutions.
- Lead the set-up of the EUTOPIA legal entity and the transfer of the central office and team from VUB to the new EUTOPIA entity.
- Manage EUTOPIA’s central budget, including the membership funding brought by the members of the Alliance as well as external funding received directly by the Alliance.
What do we expect from you
- You have attained at least a master’s degree (a PhD is an advantage);
- Preferably you have an excellent knowledge of the Higher Education sector, with relevant professional experience in education and/or research at a European or international level. You have a good understanding of current EU policies and programmes as they relate to higher education and research;
- You can inspire people, drive change and foster collaboration;
- You can lead and develop teams with a high level of intercultural sensitivity;
- You are experienced in working across national boundaries and managing remotely;
- You are able to translate complex strategy proposals into operational actions;
- You have strong and effective leadership and project management skills;
- You are experienced in the management of complex budgets. And preferably you have a record of achievement in securing funding from EU sources, other funding agencies and/or the private sector;
- You are a good communicator and networker, fluent in English (spoken and written). Operational knowledge of one or more other EU official languages is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org