The post is located in the Copyright Development Division, Copyright and Creative Industries Sector. The Copyright Development Division is responsible for the provision of technical assistance and capacity building programs and projects for developing countries in the field of copyright and related rights and for coordinating the interface of the WIPO Copyright and Creative Industries Sector with developing country member states in the field. The aim is to help these countries in using the copyright system to extract greater economic value from their cultural and other creative works.
The Division provides advisory services, capacity building and technical assistance in relation to the implementation of WIPO’s copyright and related rights partnership programs at the national, sub-regional, regional, inter-regional and international levels. The Division also coordinates some of the Organization’s public-private partnership activities in the copyright and related rights field, including the Publishers Circle as well as CDIP projects.
The incumbent assists in the design and implementation of technical assistance and capacity building programs and projects in relation to the Organization’s cooperation for development mandates with the objective of developing, implementing and monitoring sustainable programs and activities designed to enhance and promote the use of copyright and intellectual property for economic, social and cultural development in the countries.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Senior Program Management Officer, Copyright Development Division, Copyright and Creative Industries Sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Assist in the design, planning, organization and follow-up of results-oriented seminars, workshops, and other capacity building programs on copyright and related rights, including preparation of programs and documents.
- Participate in the analysis of the needs of countries or groups of countries for development activities/programs/projects within their national strategies for the establishment/modernization of functioning and efficient copyright systems.
- Follow-up on specific aspects of project implementation, identify problems, propose actions to expedite project and service delivery, and identify and track follow-up actions.
- Assist in the design and development of new innovative collaborative formats to implement CDD’s activities with concrete impacts, focusing on new groups such as youth, SMEs and women.
- Contribute to the preparation of various written reports, as may be needed, including drafting, reviewing and revising sections or portions of project assessment/budget documents, background papers, communication materials, as needed, as well as contribute to the work plan exercises of the Division.
- Undertake research and surveys, collect, analyze, organize and present data as requested.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to consultative meetings and other conferences, including in the preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- First-level university degree in law, economics, international relations, development studies or a related discipline.
- At least three years’ relevant professional experience at the national or international level, including in the field of technical assistance, capacity building or development.
- Experience with and knowledge of the social, economic and legal systems of developing or least-developed countries in the African region.
- Project management experience.
- Experience working in the field of IP.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English or French and a good knowledge of the other language.
- Good knowledge of Arabic.
Job Related Competencies (Essential):
- Basic knowledge of the international IP system.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Good knowledge of project management methodologies.
- Knowledge of IP and related creative industries issues in the African Region.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org