SAC is seeking a Senior Policy and Research Associate to join its Policy Team. You will be a part of hard-working team advocating a principled US-Syria policy that is based on democratic reform, human rights, justice, and accountability. The successful candidate is a skilled writer and an expert in foreign policy, geopolitics, and Middle East affairs who possess deep knowledge of and passion for human rights advocacy and promoting ethical and constructive U.S. foreign policy.
Working with the Senior Director of Policy, you will work on producing multiple content projects aimed at informing US-Syria policy, under tight deadlines. The role requires profound writing and research ability and sharp analytical skills.
- Carry out original research and analysis; draft op-eds, background papers, substantive analytical and issue papers, talking points, speeches, policy statements, briefs, and other advocacy products reflective of SAC’s views and policy priorities;.
- Monitor and analyze developments and trends in Syria and in U.S.-Syria policy
- Conduct outreach to the think tank community in Washington D.C. to promote SAC’s policy priorities and keep SAC abreast of new findings and prevailing trends
- Read and synthesize materials on Syria prepared by think tanks. Identify papers SAC should respond to, and authors that SAC should reach out to.
- Support the Government Relations team’s efforts to educate Members of Congress and 2024 presidential campaigns on SAC’s policy positions
- Perform other related duties as required
- Superb writing skills and ability to distill complex ideas into easy to communicate language
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree (required). A Master's degree or equivalent in international relations, political science, public policy, Middle East studies, conflict and peace studies, or other fields relevant to Syria analysis strongly preferred
- A minimum of four years of progressively responsible experience in public policy, international relations, conflict resolution, or humanitarian affairs
- Demonstrated experience in policy development
- Familiarity with the Syrian conflict and Middle Eastern affairs is required. Experience working on the Syrian conflict (political or humanitarian) is a strong asset
- Excellent presentation and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills. Quantitative skills a plus.
- Arabic proficiency (especially reading) a plus
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Resume that includes list of publications and written works
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Professional Reference(s)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $106,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Washington, DC 20005: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Washington, DC 20005
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org