IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Communications Officer for Western Europe will work in the Regional Communications Unit in the Communications and Outreach Department.
The Regional Communication Unit’s objectives include supporting IFC’s operations, strengthening IFC’s brand, and communicating its development impact to internal and external clients to galvanize IFC’s position as the premier development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with other communications units in the department, Regional Communication also promotes IFC’s thought leadership and a better understanding of the key role of private sector in development, as well as managing reputational risks around IFC’s investments and policies.
The Communications Officer will contribute to developing and implementing the communications strategy that will position IFC in Western Europe as the leading business and development partner of choice for private sector development in emerging markets. The selected candidate will be part of Western Europe’s communications team, which includes one Senior Communications Officer and one Communications Analyst, and an integral member of the Regional Communications Unit.
The position will report to the Senior Communications Officer for Western Europe, and will be based in Paris, France.
Role and Responsibilities
• Strategic Internal and External Communications, and Relationship Management
- Plan, develop, and implement effective communications and outreach strategies, activities, events, and campaigns that strategically position IFC and support its business development efforts with Western European stakeholders. This will involve working closely with IFC’s teams at Headquarters (Washington DC) and in the regions as well as with clients in the private and public sectors.
- Communicate high impact projects/stories and thought leadership opportunities in a creative manner through traditional/digital media outreach and multimedia.
- Design, execute, and monitor the impact of social media campaigns in coordination with IFC’s social media colleagues in Headquarters and in the regions, as well as with clients and partners.
- Build effective professional relationships with key external and internal constituencies (e.g. the media, regional influencers, civil society, academia, businesses, government agencies, and IFI colleagues, etc.)
• Risk Management
- Monitor and maintain a detailed log of reputational risk issues in European media, and in publications by European CSOs and think-tanks
- Work closely with the Risk and Public Affairs Unit to manage relationships with European CSOs.
• Corporate Contributions: Participate as an active member in the Regional and the Corporate Communications and Outreach Department’s teams to contribute to the implementation of IFC’s external and internal communications strategies in the regions
• Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 5 or more years’ experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, a degree in Business Administration and/or working experience in investment operations will be valued.
• Fluency in English and French, with native-level skills in French considered as a strong asset. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
• Experience with the media, the private sector (preferably in the field of finance), and other international organizations.
• Highly developed verbal and written communications skills, ability to convey complex messages succinctly and diplomatically.
• Demonstrated in-depth understanding of communications tactics, target audience, and experience in high-impact messaging to wider and more strategic audiences.
• Experience producing marketing materials and preparing print-ready products.
• Advanced multimedia skills (video, web, social media, photo-editing), including knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photo Shop, and website design and content management. Knowledge of media and social media monitoring tools (Hootsuite, Talkwalker, Cision, Signal, etc.) a distinct plus.
• Ability to operate under tight deadlines with accuracy and professionalism. Attention to detail is critical.
• Self-motivated, with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with both internal and external constituencies and clients at all levels.
• Understanding of multilateral development institutions, including the World Bank Group, its policies and operations; as well as current development topics and issues.
• World Bank Group Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
• The candidate should be available to travel across Western Europe, and other regions as needed.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org