Duties and Responsibilities
The position will be located in UNSOM’s Political Affairs and Mediation Group and the incumbent will report to the Director of Political Affairs and Mediation Group (PAMG).
The Senior Political Adviser will:
- Provide analysis and advice on political developments in Somalia to the Director of the Political and Mediation Group, senior leadership and other UNSOM entities as required;
- Provide strategic advice on UN engagement), including by establishing and maintaining contacts with government officials, regional administrations and other stakeholders;
- Provide advice to other sections within UNSOM on how they can strengthen their engagements, support and cooperation with government officials and other actors;
- Participate in policy discussions on the political context and analysis and to the implementation of UNSOM’s mandate.
- Education: A minimum of an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or its equivalent) in political science, diplomacy, international relations, public administration, management or a related field of study relevant to the responsibilities and functions of a Political Affairs Advisor. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Minimum of ten years of continuous practical work experience at international level focusing on diplomacy, international relations, and strategic analysis of geo-political developments that have implications for state-building, peacebuilding, conflict prevention and conflict resolution is required;
- Experience in supporting political institutions in government, international organisation or related organisation in Somalia promoting statebuilding, peacebuilding or peace and stability is desirable. A wide-ranging political network across sectors and diverse actors in Somalia is desirable;
- Proven negotiation skills in political analysis and advice in a conflict setting is desirable.
- English and French are the two working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. A working knowledge of oral and written Somali language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org