The National Consultant will support the Republic of Maldives national SLCP planning and implementation efforts. This will include integrated SLCP assessments and rapid implementation of actions that reduce SLCPs at the national level. The expert will also assist in strengthening the long-term institutional and technical capacity dedicated to supporting key mitigation measures that contribute to reducing emissions from these high impact sector and political and institutional backing for the SLCP mitigation strategy.
Republic of Maldives
Duties and Responsibilities
The Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) is a partnership of governments, intergovernmental organizations, and representatives of the private sector, the environmental community, and other members of civil society.
The CCAC is the only international initiative working on integrated climate and clean air solutions to reduce the rate of near-term warming. It focuses on fast action to reduce emissions of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) including methane, black carbon, HFCs and tropospheric ozone.
More information on the CCAC is available at: www.ccacoalition.org
The Republic of Maldives is a CCAC State Partner. In 2019, the Maldives’ National Action Plan on Air Pollutants was launched, aligned with existing plans to reduce GHGs and outlining 28 mitigation measures across 3 priority source sectors: waste, electricity generation, and transport. The Republic of Maldives through its Ministry of Environment Climate Change and Technology has requested support to sustain and institutionalize the SLCP analytical and planning support within the Ministry.
The CCAC is therefore seeking a National Consultant to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Environment, Climate Change and Technology of the Republic of Maldives to coordinate national SLCP planning, policy, and implementation efforts. (More information on the CCAC planning process can be found here: (https://bit.ly/CCAC-planning)
The CCAC National Consultant will work in close collaboration with the CCAC Secretariat team and focal points at the Ministry of Environment, Climate Change and Technology to enhance awareness on national planning and SLCPs, and coordinate national SLCP planning, policy, and implementation efforts. The CCAC National Consultant will also be responsible for development and implementation of SLCP emission and mitigation assessments and projects in key source sectors and fostering inter-ministerial collaboration across governments and engaging important stakeholders at the national level to effectively integrate SLCPs into national planning and to support implementation strategies.
1. Secure participation and buy-in from across government to develop/implement a National SLCP Strategy, including endorsement at high political level.
2. Strengthen the government’s capacity for developing and implementing SLCP mitigation actions, based on the CCAC’s integrated approach to climate change and air pollution reduction.
3. Develop concrete plans to advance rapid and large-scale implementation of SLCP mitigation actions across the country and mechanisms to measure progress.
4. Integrate SLCP mitigation actions into relevant national processes, plans and strategies at national and sub-national level.
5. Identify opportunities for national and international resources/funding for implementation of National SLCP Strategy.
6. Raise awareness on SLCP at national/sub-national level
7. Ensure the Republic of Maldives is an active CCAC State Partner and is leveraging benefits from the CCAC partnership (e.g., best practices shared, technical assistance, funding, bilateral partnerships, etc).
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org