Corporate Watch is a research group that helps people stand up against corporations and capitalism through information for action. Our motto is the Utah Phillips quote: “The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing it have names and addresses.”
We investigate exploitative bosses, landlords and property developers, companies profiting from prisons, deportation flights, animal exploitation and more, as well as the mega-corporations devastating our planet – and the wider systems of power and profit they work within. We provide dedicated research and training for grassroots campaigners.
We are structured as a workers’ co-operative.
About the role
The researcher will work in a small team to:
- Carry out research on companies on behalf of grassroots campaigns and community groups, which includes uncovering information on a company’s structure, history, accounts, and the impact of their work. For this role, we’re looking for someone with particular experience in analysing accounts.
- Periodically produce or contribute to accessible explainers and analysis on how capitalism and finance works, from venture capital and asset management, to stock markets and sovereign wealth funds.
- Produce written articles to communicate research findings to a broad readership.
- Co-deliver occasional workshops and presentations on our research findings and research techniques (negotiable).
- Proof-read and edit fellow researchers’ articles.
- Carry out a share of administrative tasks associated with running a cooperative.
Key skills, experience and qualities
- Experience of carrying out financial research, and a solid understanding of the field.
- Skilled in reading UK company accounts.
- Some experience of writing compelling and accessible texts e.g. articles, leaflets, reports.
- Ability to convey complex ideas in clear, readable and non-academic English.
- Ability to work both independently and within a small team.
- Open-mindedness, creativity, drive, and confidence in this field of work.
- A commitment to our objectives and principles as an anti-capitalist co-operative.
- Experience of using a wide range of investigative tools, eg. freedom of information requests, databases, interviews, etc.
- Experience of writing accessible texts on companies or markets.
- Experience writing funding applications.
- Experience of delivering trainings or presentations, in person or online.
- Working knowledge of grassroots campaigns in the UK.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org