Based in Brussels and active in over a dozen countries, the European Institute of Peace (www.eip.org) is an independent organisation working collaboratively with the parties to the conflict, those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as European decision-makers and the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
We provide practical experience, technical expertise, and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design of peace processes and agreements, facilitating policy discussions, and proposing practical engagement, for example through inclusive dialogue and mediation support.
Are you captivated by our innovative approach to peace, and do you want to contribute to the mission of our institute? Do you share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements?
We are looking for a trainee to support the Middle East and Gulf Programme within Engagement, Dialogue & Process Design Unit (EDP).
- Support the Programme Manager in the administration of the programme;
- Contribute to the design and organization of in-person and online dialogue events with key stakeholders (e.g., Yemeni political and civil society actors) in Europe or in the region;
- Support the Middle East & Gulf team in the development of relevant documents, including concept notes and talking point;
- Keep abreast of major debates and discussions, reports, calls for proposals, political events relevant to the Institute’s work in and on the region;
- Conduct desk research and analysis on policy issues relating to region, upon request.
Your skills and experience
- Keen interest in EIP’s work and mission.
- Familiarity with the politics and conflicts in the Middle East (particularly Yemen, Israel-Palestine ad the Gulf) and, ideally, work experience in the Middle East & Gulf region.
- Excellent organisational skills and willingness to support the programme with logistical and administrative duties.
- Strong communication skills, paired with the ability to work in a multi-cultural team, based in different locations.
- Experience with policy analysis, research, and writing.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English is essential. Fluency in Arabic preferred but not required.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- You are legally entitled to work in Belgium (meaning that you are either a EU citizen, or in possession of a Belgian work permit).
What we are offering
- An exciting Traineeship in an international environment (18 nationalities represented at the Brussels Office)
- A six-month full-time paid traineeship under the Belgian CIP framework (Convention d’Immersion Professionnelle)
- Traineeship allowance of 1040 EUR/month, meal vouchers, reimbursement of public transport and telework, and A SIM card
- 40h/week and 1 day of paid leave for every month worked
- The possibility to telework 3 days a week
Expected start date: July 2023
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org