Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
- Project Management and Implementation: Ensure effective and efficient execution of UN-Habitat projects and management of the project resources through resource mobilization activities, technical guidance, quality, cost control and ensure support of the project resources as per approved project document and substantive work plan; Coordinate overall work plans and budgets; Prepare relevant documentation and reports related to projects; Initiate recruitment of human resources; Liaise with partners to ensure quality and timely delivery of UN-Habitat's projects and programmes;
- Technical Assistance, Advisory Services and Outreach: Review and analyze issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies to develop policies; Technical Assistance: Provide technical assistance and implementation support to the government of Iraq, project partners and key stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of projects and programmes; Build regional capacity for improved management. Conduct training workshops and seminars; make presentations to local institutions and government; Provide quality technical input into project activities as well as to national institutions in line with Medium Term Strategic and Institutional Plan (MTSIP)and the relevant thematic area;
- Representation and Liaising with key stakeholders: Manage, develop and maintain close working relationships with relevant national and international partners, stakeholders, and other UN Agencies in the duty station; Promote and coordinate active participation of Project Offices in the relevant MTSIP; Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the Habitat country programme documents. Support/stimulate the inter-divisional cooperation at country level through the enhanced normative operational frameworks;
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the land sector, functional area or specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements, demonstrates professional competence and mastery in the UN Habitat focus areas of Urban Planning and Design, Housing and Slum Upgrading; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team short comings;
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in engineering, project management, business administration urban planning, architecture or a related field. A first university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree;
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in human settlement, project or programme management, administration or related area is required;
- At lease three years' experience in an international organization or similar organizations is required;
- Experience in managing a team in resource mobilization and donor coordination is desirable;
- Experience in post conflict areas is desirable;
- Experience in international development in the middle east region is desirable;
- 2 years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Arabic is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org