CONCORD is seeking a highly-motivated young professional to join the Policy and Advocacy Team as a Policy and Advocacy Trainee with a keen interest in financing and funding for sustainable development.
We are looking for a young professional who is passionate, motivated, creative, cooperative, and committed and would like to gain valuable work experience and contribute to the work of a confederation of NGOs whose vision is of a world in which poverty and inequality have been ended; in which decisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations; where every person has the right to live in dignity, sustainably, on an equal basis, free from poverty.
As a trainee, you will support CONCORD’s Policy and Advocacy work. You will work within our Policy and Advocacy team under the supervision of our Senior Policy and Advocacy Adviser to support CONCORD’s work in financing and funding for sustainable development.
Main learning objectives
- You will be able to acquire a good understanding of decision-making processes in the EU institutions as well as the ways of working in an EU NGO confederation, bringing together networks and national platforms from across the European Union;
- You will be able to obtain knowledge about EU international cooperation in general, and EU funding and financing for sustainable development in particular;
- You will be able to enhance your coordination skills, analysis skills and organisational skills;
- You will be able to learn more about policy analysis and advocacy processes, including drafting relevant documents, enhancing the engagement of members in order to develop and advocate for CONCORD’s positions, monitoring EU institutional policy processes,and learning about the political process;
- You will be able to attend external events and getting to know the work of CONCORD allies and partners;
- All while working in an international, multicultural environment.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The role involves supporting the implementation of CONCORD’s policy and advocacy objectives, coordinating our members in the collective policy and advocacy work vis-à-vis EU institutions. Under the supervision of our Senior FFSD Advisor, the trainee will conduct:
Policy and advocacy work:
- Participate in and contribute to the coordination within the Policy and Advocacy team and with other teams in CONCORD;
- Support the organisation of internal and external meetings and events; including draft minutes of meetings and prepare presentations;
- Monitor relevant EU policies and processes;
- Support projects within working groups and the drafting of joint positions and analyses;
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and management within working groups and CONCORD’s wider membership;
- Conduct targeted research when relevant to the work of the workstream;
- Other relevant policy and advocacy tasks.
Staff coordination and work:
- Participate in staff coordination meetings and contribute to generic staff work.
Qualification and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent in development studies, political science, EU or other relevant studies.
- Knowledge of the functioning of the European Union institutions and EU policy-making processes;
- Knowledge and/or strong interest in EU and MS official development assistance (ODA) trends, or development funding is an asset;
- Good analysis and reporting skills;
- Good spoken and written English.
- Ability to organise one’s own work and manage one’s own time;
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others and towards shared objectives;
- Ability to work under pressure and to achieve tight deadlines;
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Capacity to research, synthesise and analyse information;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Eager to take initiative;
- Strong computer skills.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org