Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the E-Commerce and Digital Economy Branch of the Division on Technology and Logistics in the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). The Economic Affairs Officer reports to the Chief of the Digital Economy Policy Research Section. The focus of this position is to contribute to UNCTAD’s policy research and analysis work on e-commerce and the digital economy for development, related statistical work and on relevant intergovernmental activities.
Economic or sector analysis:
- Monitors economic developments related to e-commerce and the digital economy, and identifies recurrent and emerging issues of concern to the United Nations;
- Designs and conducts studies of selected issues in economic development and draft resulting reports, notably related to e-commerce and the digital economy;
- Interprets and applies results of econometric modelling to analysis of economic prospects and policies;
- Develops draft policy recommendations pertaining to the area of work;
- Formulates proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for presentation to intergovernmental bodies and others;
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions;
- Organizes expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on development issues related to e-commerce and the digital economy;
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
- Provides substantive support to the organization and servicing of the UNCTAD Intergovernmental Group of Experts on E-commerce and the Digital Economy and Working Group on Measuring E-commerce and the Digital Economy;
- Provides substantive support to sessions of the Trade and Development Board;
- Represents the section at international, regional and national meetings.
- Designs and monitors technical cooperation projects related to measuring e-commerce and the digital economy;
- Undertakes missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities;
- Prepares global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on development issues related to e-commerce and the digital economy;
- Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects.
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback;
- Participates in intra- and inter-departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit;
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the section’s service;
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply economic theories, concepts and approaches relevant to trade and sustainable development, especially with regard to the role of e-commerce and the digital economy. Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to analyzing e-commerce and the digital economy from a development perspective. Ability to edit and supervise the production of contributions for publication purposes. Ability to conduct independent research on economic topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in economics or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area is required;
- Experience in the areas of e-commerce and the digital economy, in a national or international organization, is desirable;
- Experience with preparing flagship reports of the United Nations or comparable international organizations is desirable;
- Experience with technical assistance in the area of e-commerce and the digital economy is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org