The situation of social and political convulsion in which Peru currently finds itself is a result of the worsening of the crisis of representation that the country has been going through for more than a decade. A context in which a large sector of the population considers that their authorities and representatives do not hear them and do not contribute to resolving their most immediate demands and concerns. In a context of violence and polarization, the bridges of social and political communication have been broken. Getting politicians from different ideological positions to talk to each other is challenging, and it is impossible to achieve dialogue between citizens and politicians.
International IDEA will implement a project to support political and social actors develop an inclusive political dialogue that allows a peaceful approach to the political crisis in Peru. To this end, dialogue tables will be organized between leaders of various sectors of civil society in more than 10 regions of the country and then between these actors and political leaders. The project will involve organizations of entrepreneurs, workers, indigenous peoples, Afro-descendants, churches, and political parties.
The Senior Project Financial Officer is responsible for providing financial and administration oversight, quality assurance and support to the Peru office team. The Senior Project Financial Officer will act as a focal point for the management of the project budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Guides overall financial compliance and quality control of the project;
- Monitors financial management, compliance and reporting of implementing partners;
- Conducts partnership capacity assessments in liaison with the project team and in accordance to International IDEA standards;
- Trains project implementing partners on the project finance requirements, standards, policies and procedures;
- Analyses and presents monthly project financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicates monthly and annual reports; collates financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversees all financial and project accounting;
- Oversees the processing of payments and activity budget reconciliations, and ensures all transactions are accurately recorded in the financial management system;
- Provides support and guidance to the Senior Programme Officer on preparation and revision of project/activity budgets in conformity with the applicable policies and procedures; Prepares the budget breakdown and budget monitoring for the project;
- Prepares project expenditure reports and analysis and tracks financial progress of the project as required;
- Performs all duties related to the Supplier’s Ledger including processing of invoices, payments, maintenance of supplier accounts and recording of transactions, ensuring that transactions are properly authorized in accordance with delegated authority;
- Manages daily cashier activities ensuring adherence to International IDEA’s policies and procedures, accounting principles and best practices; establishes and maintains cash controls;
- Monitors cash flow and ensures adequate cash levels are maintained;
- Sets up grant financial schedule and aligns grant budget with UBW budget;
- Develops partnership agreements and consultant/supplier contracts; ensures compliance with International IDEA policies and procedures and ensures the Institute’s financial and commercial interest are protected;
- Advises project staff on internal financial related policies and procedures and their use (e.g. travel policy, reimbursement policy, etc.);
- Monitors adherence to donor agreement requirements within the framework of International IDEA’s internal policies and procedures, ensuring focus is on delivery of reporting, invoicing and disbursement timelines;
- Arranges the project independent audits in consultation with the Head of Finance and Operations, LAC Regional Office.
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative sprit, a sense of achievement, and previous experience of risk management;
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Presents his/her activities as appropriate;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. strategic planning, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entitles of the institute;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the programme, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and inclusion perspective in all activities;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Head of Programme – Peru.
Education and Experience
- University degree in business, financial management or other relevant discipline;
- Full or part professional qualifications in finance and accounting, for example ACCA is considered an advantage;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management, administration, including solid experience in planning and management of project grants, audits, or related areas is required, as is experience in the monitoring and evaluation of grants;
- Technical knowledge and skills in project design, procurement and contracting, tendering, contract design, multi-party agreements and acquittal of funds, as well as ability to draft non-routine contractual instruments and use independent judgment in the resolution of contract issues;
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience supervising and directing individuals and small teams;
- Knowledge and experience using multi-country financial systems including processing on-site payments;
- Knowledge of the political situation in Peru and Peruvian geography will be considered an advantage;
- Fluency in Spanish is required. Good knowledge of English is required.
Terms of Contract
- International Post;
- Start date 01 July;
- Fixed-term appointment until 31 December 2024;
- Remuneration - EUR 6 013 NET per month + benefits.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org