The Green European Foundation (GEF) is seeking a full-time Communications and Outreach Manager for the Green European Journal, based at its Brussels office.
About the Green European Journal
The Green European Journal is Europe’s political ecology magazine. Its editorial project is guided by the principles of an open, sustainable, social and feminist Europe. In print and online, it publishes articles which track political currents and ideas offering fresh perspectives and analysis. Its print editions come out twice a year, while articles and interviews are published online every week. Editorially independent, it has published in over 25 languages since its foundation in 2012 and collaborates with partners across Europe to connect new audiences and open up spaces for debate. Based at the Green European Foundation, the spirit of the magazine is that of a broad conversation about political ecology and what it means for our society, today and for the years to come. See www.greeneuropeanjournal.eu.
The Green European Foundation (GEF) is a European level political foundation funded by the European Parliament. GEF cooperates in full autonomy with European Green actors such as the European Green Party and the Green Group in the European Parliament in pursuit of its mission to encourage European citizens to participate in European political discussions. As a forum for cooperation at the European level, GEF works closely with its national member foundations and aims to strengthen the Green political movement and green ideas in Europe. See www.gef.eu.
About the role
The Communications and Outreach Manager works to expand the readership, visibility and influence of both the print and online versions of the Green European Journal.
The ideal candidate will be proactive – able to find new and original opportunities and ways to present and spread the journal’s publishing – passionate about the latest trends in media journalism, and adept at tailoring content for different audiences.
The Green European Journal is both an biannual print magazine as well as a weekly online magazine publishing a range of formats. The journal publishes in English as well as offering translations in selected languages and works with a range of partner publications across Europe. The Communications and Outreach Manager will work to spread green ideas and establish the Green European Journal as a Europe-wide reference point for political ecology analysis. The successful candidate will demonstrate passion for developing the journal’s place in the European sphere of debate and ideas.
The Communications and Outreach Manager works closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Deputy Editor, and the Editorial and Projects Office, and is supported by an intern in their work.
- Implementing and the developing of the journal’s communication and outreach strategy;
- Managing and developing the journal’s presence on social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn);
- Leading outreach to expand the journal’s visibility and readership among key target readerships;
- Finding opportunities to promote the journal and its contents (networks, hooks and angles, events etc.);
- Managing the production, dissemination and development of the journal’s audio longreads ‘Green Wave’ podcast;
- Promoting the journal’s newsletter and contributing to its development;
- Managing and expanding the journal’s subscriber base and the dissemination of the journal at external events;
- Monitoring and evaluating the journal’s communication and outreach activities (social media and website traffic; campaign tracking);
- Contributing to editorial discussions on the journal’s editorial planning and development;
- Overseeing the maintenance and development of the journal website;
- Occasionally organising and representing the journal at events.
Required experience, knowledge and skills
- At least 3-5 years’ work experience in similar communications roles with experience in similar publications and/or journalism particularly valued;
- Demonstrated communications and social media skills (management of multiple platforms, producing visuals);
- Taste for networking, exploring and building partnerships with different actors across Europe;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Able to work in a team with a developed sense of responsibility and independence;
- Written and oral proficiency in English and in a second European language. Any additional European language will be considered an asset;
- Good knowledge of the current European politics, debates and history;
- Good knowledge of the Green movement’s history, ideas and values, and current developments;
- Adherence to GEF’s mission and team values (solidarity, respect, openness, sustainability, autonomy and transparency);
- Willingness to travel, availability for occasional work outside regular office hours.
What we offer
- Competitive salary, based on GEF’s salary scale;
- A permanent contract;
- Food vouchers amounting to 7 EUR/worked day;
- Full reimbursement of public transport in Belgium;
- Paid mobile phone subscription;
- 2 EUR/day home office allowance;
- 250 EUR/year eco-vouchers;
- 2 extra holidays on top of the Belgian legal framework, plus the period between 24 December – 2 January;
- Flexible working time and hybrid office (up to 60%);
- An open, positive and engaging working atmosphere in an international environment.
GEF is an equal opportunities employer
- We are committed to non-discrimination, diversity and inclusion;
- All qualified applicants will receive fair consideration regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability and minority status;
- Non-EU candidates are welcome to apply.
- Candidates are requested to submit their motivation letter and a CV (max. 1-2 pages each), both comprised in a single pdf document, by clicking the apply button;
- Deadline for applications: 19/06/2023, 23h59 CET;
- Interviews will be organised on a rolling basis.
For questions on the role, please contact below.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org