The position is charged with upholding U.S. immigration law and regulations, providing detailed information to international students and scholars regarding U.S. and university rules and policies, advising them on how to adjust and realize their educational objectives, monitoring student academic and social conduct, and assisting in resolving problems and crises. OIP provides a high level of support to our international students and scholars and the expectation is for this position to give exemplary customer service.
OIP strives to provide quality international education opportunities to MSU students and faculty. Of equal importance, OIP programs make MSU accessible to capable students from around the world and ensure they have quality academic experiences. Recruiting more international students to the campus is a charge included in the MSU Strategic Plan, and the critical support services and compliance with the federal immigration regulatory processes provided by this position and others within the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) team are integral to MSU’s ability to have an international student population. Reflecting MSU’s recognition of the centrality of international education, OIP reports directly to the Office of the Provost and works closely with departments across the campus in conducting its programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as immigration compliance specialist for all F, M and J visa holders (foreign students, professors, and researchers).
- Works with federal, state, and local authorities to facilitate provision of necessary services for MSU’s interntional students, professors, and researchers.
- Provides advising, support services and crisis management services to MSU’s foreign students, professors, and researchers.
- Manages specific programs provided by OIP for international students and scholars.
- Provides functionality support to ISSM software and uses Banner software efficiently.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in international relations, social sciences with an international focus, counseling or legal studies, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience in international scholar services.
- Eligibility for federal approval as a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) – must be either a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Demonstrated experience learning a complex body of regulatory or legal information.
- Demonstrated experience working with a complex database management system.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Master’s degree in international relations, social sciences with an international focus, counseling, or legal studies.
- Thorough understanding of immigration laws and regulations as they pertain to F-1/F-2, M-1/M-2 and J-1/J-2 visas and ability to interpret compliance issues regarding a range of specific circumstances.
- Proficiency in navigation and use of the federal SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) system.
- Experience working with international students and scholars in an advising and problem-solving role.
The Successful Candidate Will
- Provide a high level of personalized support (customer service) to international students and scholars who are living in a foreign culture.
- Deal with difficult situations (legal, personal, crisis), to “think on one’s feet”; maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse group of employees, students, and the public, both in person and over the phone.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, oral and intercultural communication skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and the public.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Multitask in a demanding environment.
- Represent OIP and MSU in a professional and courteous manner.
- Display competence in organizing and prioritizing critical tasks and duties, manage large amounts of data in a confidential manner, maintaining accurate and detailed records.
Position Special Requirements/Additional Information
- The employee hired for this position must be willing to travel domestically to attend professional conferences and training workshops. This travel will be infrequent. This position does not involve international travel.
- Needs to be able to work some nights and weekends.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org