International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is a globally renowned not-for-profit research organisation committed to reducing poverty and hunger among people and populations that depend on rice-based agri-food systems, through innovation and the application of science. Through IRRI’s work and partnerships, it aims to improve the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers, promote environmental sustainability and support the empowerment of women and the youth in the rice industry.
The organisation employs around 1,000 staff, including scientists, researchers and technicians, representing 32 nationalities, based across headquarters and country offices, located in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa.
The IRRI is also a research center of CGIAR, the world’s largest global agricultural innovation network, and a global research partnership for a food-secure future dedicated to transforming food, land, and water systems, to reduce poverty, improve food and nutrition security, and improve natural resources and ecosystem services.
For the inspirational and visionary professional we seek to lead IRRI as Director General, it means you will also serve as CGIAR’s Regional Director for Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
As the IRRI Director General, your remit will be to develop effective strategy, attract and retain inspired talent, engage and collaborate with partners to co-create valuable research and science innovation for impact that expand IRRI’s proven track record of leading innovative rice science and providing solutions to complex development issues. You will also oversee IRRI’s assets and infrastructure, while finding ways to significantly increase the financial resources available for research at IRRI.
Reporting to the IRRI Board, the Director General will also represent IRRI both in ‘One CGIAR’ and externally and will manage IRRI’s contributions to delivering One CGIAR Research Initiatives. In addition as representative of CGIAR in the region, you will also report to CGIAR’s Managing Director for Regions and Partnerships and be CGIAR’s Country Representative for the Philippines, leading and representing CGIAR’s overall engagement in the country.
This is a multi-faceted, visible, high profile and hugely dynamic role – and the Director General we seek will be someone that will bring an authentic passion and understanding of scientific research and innovation incubation to create solutions for global food security, and the transformation needs in Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
You will also be someone who can function at the highest levels, both strategically and operationally, within a complex global research-focussed organisation.
Your skillset and experience will include:
· a formal education to the level of PhD in a field relevant to the mandate of IRRI
· a significant career as a senior manager at the government, institutional, or industry level.
· a proven track record in planning and managing human, financial and physical resources
· experience Managing Aid/Philanthropy Funded Portfolios
· experience in undertaking and managing research in agriculture or related field
· excellent communication skills, with the ability to listen, engage, and work effectively with oversight bodies as well as funders and partners, senior government officials, private entrepreneurs
· the capacity to inspire, generate, nurture, and sustain staff motivation and professional development
· strong interpersonal skills and an appreciation of the value of diversity, with a commitment to promote inclusion in all forms
· fluency in English and knowledge of other languages will be an advantage.
To apply for this unique and exciting opportunity, please email your resume with a letter of interest to Spencer Stuart before 5pm Philippine Standard Time on Tuesday 10th Oct 2023.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org