DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Head, DRR technical Development Division and overall guidance of the Director, DMPS Branch, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned Early Warning for All Initiative (EW4All) related activities, including in the context of specific projects; monitors through the analysis of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions;
- Coordinates deployment of experts and consultants, liaises with partners to leverage their institutional and technical resources as needed, in furtherance of the achievement of EW4All objectives;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities including severe weather forecasting, impact-based forecasting and warning practices, collecting, analyzing and presenting data and information gathered from diverse sources;
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends including Artificial Intelligence developments and applications to DRR and early warning activities, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive support to governance, consultative and other meetings, conferences, especially those of the Services Commission, its Standing Committee on DRR and Public Services and subsidiary working groups/teams, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Participates in field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Facilitates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Carry out other relevant duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in meteorology or a very closely a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in operational meteorology, service delivery, design, monitoring and user relation management or related area.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both orally and in writing. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster diversity and team spirit;
- Ability to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate assigned programmes and projects. Ability to plan, organize and manage the work with minimum supervision. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
- Perfect adherence to UN values and WMO code of ethics. Understanding of the United Nations, including WMO programmes and activities and international organization processes would be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English (both oral and written). Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of other official languages of the Organization would be an advantage.
(Note: the working languages of the WMO Secretariat are English and French. The official languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish).
(Note: The official languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish).
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org