The Policy & Advocacy Advisor maintains relationships at the National and County level to assist with Ipas’s mission by organizing sensitization workshops and providing ongoing information to technical legislative and Judicial arms including management teams and members of county assemblies and engage with key policy makers, support to local activists and is responsible for maintaining local organizational alliances and other stakeholders at the county level including working towards budgetary allocations and commitments. The position also provides both technical and administrative support to projects, with support from the Finance Advisors and Monitoring and Evaluation Advisors, the Advocacy and Policy.
Advisor will have responsibility for:
- Advocacy, influence and thought leadership;
- Project management, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring, and evaluation.
Key tasks and responsibilities
Advocacy, influence and thought leadership:
- Conceptualizes and implements programmatic activities aimed at improving the policy environment through engaging with key policy makers including partnerships with coalitions and networks;
- Conceptualizing and drafting white papers and policy position papers to inform the development of legislative, policy and strategic documents including annual Work Plans at the National and sub-national levels;
- Conduct legal analysis of the status of reproductive justice in all our program networks;
- Provide technical policy guidance to partners and represent lpas Africa Alliance at external technical events, conferences etc.;
- Mapping shifts in working relations in the attitudes by stakeholders through recording of both positive and negative statements by policy makers at the National, sub-national and regional levels;
- Lead and support legal advocacy and analysis on SRHR;
- Support capacity building of stakeholders and Alliance staff on advocacy work and in coordination with other office staff, provides policy support and technical assistance as needed for global policy unit and national policy activities.
Project management, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring, and evaluation:
- In collaboration with Policy & Advocacy Manager, may provide support in monitoring the implementation of the in-country work plans by conducting a monthly review of plans versus results and documenting the variances;
- Supporting in program work plans, project budgeting, budget reviews and spending, grant agreements, service contracts, and other related documents as needed
- Develop status reports for the policy team on various work plan activities, tracking activity deadlines and drafting or reviewing reports;
- Enters and or supports to enter activity events in Terra after each activity and reports to verify that the documentation (registration sheets, attendance lists, pre- and post-tests, and programs) and information requested in reports are entered on time, accurately, and are included in the activity reports;
- Provides administrative support including scheduling and coordinating meetings and conferences, taking notes, setting-up meeting rooms, making copies, travel planning, and other tasks as requested;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Contributes to the preparation of donor reports and externally facing documents; Ensures quality reporting;
- Contributes to project design and proposal preparation. Supports fundraising initiatives for policy activities by contributing to donor proposals and preparation or review of donor reports.
Communications & representation:
- Shares learning and expertise within the Ipas network;
- Contributes to developing or implementing communications plans, primarily at project level;
- Builds and maintains strong partnerships, primarily for a specific project.
- A deep commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights, especially abortion and contraception access;
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships with diverse internal teams and external partners;
- Demonstrated capacity and commitment to good stewardship of funds, including strong skills in work planning, budgeting, financial monitoring, and data-driven problem solving.
- A bachelor’s degree in law, public policy, development studies, international relations, social sciences, politics, or any other relevant field.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience;
- Experience working in human rights and/or public policy;
- Advanced program planning and management experience;
- Experience working in a non-profit organization.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org