The post is located in the Copyright Law Division of the Copyright and Creative Industries Sector. This Division is responsible for the implementation of WIPO's strategic goal concerning the balanced evolution of the multilateral framework for intellectual property in the area of copyright and related rights. The Division provides assistance to Member States in drafting and updating their national copyright and related rights legislation as well as becoming party to and implementing the WIPO copyright and related rights treaties. The incumbent works as part of a team of lawyers that facilitates discussions and normative outcomes for the international law of copyright and related rights by acting as the Secretariat for the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR). The team also advises Member States in the development of balanced legislative, regulatory and policy frameworks in this area, including with respect to copyright and related rights in the digital environment.
The main role of the incumbent is to provide assistance to Member States in drafting and updating their national legislation and adhering to and implementing the WIPO copyright and related rights treaties, and to conduct legal research and draft legal documents related to legislative assistance and treaty adherence and implementation.
The incumbent reports to and works under the direct supervision of the Counsellor in CLD who focuses on legislative and treaty advice, under the guidance of the Director of the Copyright Law Division.
The incumbent works closely with other professionals in CCIS, primarily from the Copyright Law Division, the Copyright Management Division, and the Copyright Development Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties
- Plans and prepares initial drafts of legislative and regulatory advice related to international and national copyright and related rights protection for review by senior colleagues.
- Prepares and supports the delivery of legislative, regulatory and policy advice to WIPO Member States related to implementation of WIPO copyright and related rights treaties in national legislation and regulations.
- Prepares drafts of documentation, examples, and model language to be used in providing legislative, regulatory and policy advice on copyright and related rights to WIPO Member States.
- Monitors developments and carries out legal research on subjects related to international and national copyright and related rights, including topics related to copyright in the digital environment.
- Plans and prepares initial drafts of legal documents related to copyright and related rights for review by senior colleagues, including undertaking legal research for the preparation of papers, studies, memoranda, correspondence, and other types of documents as requested.
- Supports and carries out preparatory arrangements for result-oriented conferences, seminars, workshops and other activities convened by the Division, and prepares drafts of Secretariat documents for these activities.
- Prepares for and participates in conferences, seminars, workshops and other activities at an appropriate level, including drafting and/or delivering presentations on WIPO copyright and related rights treaties and related international and national subjects for a wide variety of audiences.
- Contributes to the preparation of internal WIPO reports and other administrative documents for the Division.
- iPerforms other related duties as required.
- First-level university degree in law that would qualify incumbent to practice law.
- Advanced university degree in law.
- Specialization in intellectual property law, including studies in copyright and related rights.
- At least three years of relevant professional legal experience in the public or private sector.
- Experience conducting legal research in the area of copyright and related rights.
- Experience working with multilateral copyright and related rights treaties.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and one other UN language.
- Good written and spoken knowledge of another UN language.
Job Related Competencies (Essential)
- Ability to design and conduct research and analyze defined aspects of legal issues.
- Ability to present information clearly and logically in written and verbal form.
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects or aspects of projects in order to work toward defined results.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
- Excellent skills in prioritization and time management, and strong attention to detail.
Job Related Competencies (Desirable)
- Knowledge of legal principles of copyright and related rights law.
- Knowledge of WIPO copyright and related rights treaties.
- Knowledge of legislative drafting principles and techniques.
- Good knowledge of project management techniques, including planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org