Press freedom in Europe needs to be defended. Join the mission of the European Centre for Press and Media Freedom (ECPMF) to champion this cause. ECPMF, in collaboration with its partners, implements the Media Freedom Rapid Response (MFRR), a Europe-wide initiative that tracks, monitors, and responds to violations of press and media freedom. Legal support is one of the services offered by ECPMF – through the MFRR and other projects – to media outlets, journalists, and media workers. To date, we have supported hundreds of media workers with money to cover lawyer’s fees.
We are hiring a legal officer to support the implementation of ECPMF’s legal support programme. This is a full time (40 hours per week) project-funded position for a period of one year, starting on 01 March 2024, with the possibility of continued employment. The successful candidate will be based in Leipzig, Germany.
- Support the Senior Legal Advisor in implementing the legal support programme
- Research and vett applications for legal support under the guidance of the Senior Legal Advisor
- Monitor legal threats against media outlets, journalists, and media workers in Europe
- Compile periodic and annual reports related to legal support
- Proactively reach out to journalists in need for legal assistance
- Document legal actions against journalists on Mapping Media Freedom and the Council of Europe Platform on Safety of Journalists
- Provide support in organising events on legal topics
- Support in liaising with partners
- Support legal and advocacy work with national and international organisations
- One to two years of relevant professional experience
- Educational background in law, human rights, political science, communication science, media studies, or relevant areas
- Experience in handling multiple activities at once, ability to work under pressure
- Fluency in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professionalism, reliability, willingness to take on responsibilities
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- You will be working in a team with a collegial atmosphere in an international environment
- Your annual gross salary will between €42,000-45,000, depending on your experience.
- A workplace in the Gohlis district in the city of Leipzig, including German employment benefits
- The possibility of continued employment
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org