The award-winning non-profit Business Council for Peace (Bpeace) seeks a part-time, Project Manager to organize and complete six to eight Road Trips for Salvadoran and Guatemalan entrepreneurs traveling to the U.S. The Project Manager will be responsible for identifying U.S. businesses who are a fit for what the Central American entrepreneurs want to learn on their visits, and for persuading the U.S. businesses to host each Salvadoran or Guatemalan for a day or longer. This is a contract position for a three-month period. The Project Manager may be located anywhere in the continental U.S., must have a business background, and be able to understand, speak and read Spanish.
The impact of this project will be significant. You will be the catalyst that brings together small business owners in Guatemala and El Salvador and successful businesses in similar industries in the U.S. You will be providing the opportunity for these Salvadoran and Guatemalan businesses to have a once in a lifetime opportunity to access American best practices, go home and apply them, and grow bigger and stronger to provide more jobs in their troubled communities.
The Project Manager, with guidance from Bpeace permanent staff in North Carolina and New York City, will:
- Interview each of the six to eight entrepreneurs (we call them Fast Runners) who operate businesses in El Salvador or Guatemala. Define clear goals for what they want to observe or learn while they are in the U.S.
- With that information, update the Fast Runner profile that you will use in your process to identify and persuade U.S. Host Companies to participate in this program.
- Set priorities with Bpeace on the rolling schedule of the Fast Runners visiting the U.S. Approximately two-three Fast Runners will visit the U.S. each month.
- Using your own network of business contacts, and leads from Bpeace, build a list of potential Host Companies for each of the following industries:
√Digital advertising agency
√Full service marketing agency
√Cleaning supplies manufacturer
√Large debt collection agency
√Environmental consulting and analysis
- Sign-up three to five U.S. Host Companies for each Fast Runner. You will be signing up 20-40 U.S. Host Companies in total.
- Program a five-day (one week) Road Trip for each Fast Runner that includes daylong visits to U.S. Host Companies. The U.S. Host Companies for each Fast Runner will need to be geographically clustered to minimize travel time.
- Coordinate with Host Companies to define detailed agendas for their hosting day/s.
- Curate detailed agendas into a briefing packet for each Fast Runner before her visit to the U.S.
- Provide logistical support to help each Fast Runner confirm lodging and transportation. The Fast Runner is responsible for planning and paying for their own travel arrangements.
- Manage the relationship with Fast Runner and Host Company during in country visits, ensuring all expectations are managed, and everyone has a productive and enjoyable experience.
- Plan any ancillary events for the Fast Runner, i.e. in person meetings with Bpeace members/staff.
- Use Bpeace MSWord and PowerPoint templates to produce any of reports or profiles mentioned above. These templates make the documentation part of this project easier for you.
- Assist with social media requests from BpeaceHQ.
- Degree in business, economics, international development and/or in a relevant field of study OR
- Three or more years of business experience working in the U.S. private sector or consulting with companies in the private sector.
- Able to understand, speak and read Spanish.
- A profile on LinkedIn that demonstrates a wide personal and professional network that you will use to identify potential U.S. Host Companies. You will be asking people in your network to provide "warm introductions" to companies in the aforementioned industries.
- Fearless in making cold calls and the proven ability to make a persuasive case over the phone. This includes having an engaging phone manner.
- Resourceful, organized, excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter; must be comfortable taking initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, extensive cross-cultural awareness.
- Enjoys providing exceptional client service.
- Ability to present information and communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Extremely flexible, with the ability to cope with unforeseen situations.
- Team player, yet also able to work independently and exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
- Comfortable working virtually and communicating by Skype, phone, email.
- Technology savvy; fluency in Microsoft office and social media platforms.
DURATION AND COMPENSATION
- This is a three-month project. Payment will be made to you six to eight times during this period on the day each Fast Runner lands in the U.S. Bpeace has a reputation for prompt payment.
- We anticipate it will take you approximately 32 hours to fully program each of the six to eight Road Trips. You must perform the bulk of this work during the day (Eastern Time). You can expect to work on this project 64-85 hours for each of the three months, depending on whether there are six or eight Road Trips.
- We will pay you as an independent contractor consultant the amount of $1,000 for each Road Trip, or a total of $6,000 to $8,000 for this entire project, depending on whether there are six or eight Road Trips.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS COUNCIL FOR PEACE
The Business Council for Peace (Bpeace) is a 15-year old award-winning non-profit organization. We lift communities in need by working with local entrepreneurs to scale their businesses, create significant employment for all, and expand the economic power of women. We believe: More jobs mean less violence.®
We so love what we do. We are a membership organization of more than 350 business volunteers who provide their expertise pro bono to the entrepreneurs we assist in El Salvador, Guatemala and Afghanistan. Bpeace has facilitated Road Trips where over 230 U.S. companies opened their doors and shared best practices with 80 Afghan, Guatemalan and Salvadoran Fast Runners. Many of these visits were with the support of the U.S. Department of State.
Through a four-month competitive process every year, we select only entrepreneurs with momentum, not startups. We call them Fast Runners because they are in the best position to create jobs for others in their community.
The Bpeace services that have the most significant impact on these businesses are the Road Trips to the U.S. and Bpeace's volunteer experts who travel to work side by side with Fast Runner businesses for a week or more.
Fast Runners who have been in the Bpeace program for more than a year, average 34% job growth and 37% revenue growth. This is significantly better than the GDP growth in their countries. 44% of our Fast Runners grew full-time jobs by more than 20%. 76% of Fast Runners maintained or grew full-time jobs. 55% grew full-time employment for women.
Only candidates who are available immediately and who meet all qualifications of the position should apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with the URL of your LinkedIn profile.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*