The Evaluation Specialist leads and/or participates in monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) contract and proposal activities. The evaluation specialist contributes to all project deliverables and deepens EnCompass’ approach to MEL. The Evaluation Specialist effectively supports (and sometimes leads) diverse teams, facilitates sessions with clients and manages work plans and budgets. While the evaluation specialist will likely support MEL work across multiple sectors, a significant focus will be on democracy and governance initiatives.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
Provides technical support to MEL activities
- Provides subject matter and technical expertise on all aspects of MEL work.
- Develops evaluation designs, data collection instruments and processes, supervises data management, conducts data collection, reviews and synthesizes documents and analyzes data.
- Prepares high-quality reports and technical resources (may include publishing or presenting significant work).
- Conducts field work internationally and domestically to collect data, train data collectors and facilitate workshops on results and learning.
Manages and implements contracts.
- Manages and contributes to contract implementation, building capacity and responding to client needs.
- Develop LOE estimates, work plans, and budgets. Monitors timelines and expenses and participates in Periodic Financial Reviews with Finance Team.
- Recruits, hires and manages consultants.
- Builds and maintains high-quality relationships and communications with clients, partners, prime contractors, subcontractors, and consultants.
Contributes to the acquisition of new business.
- Support the development of high-quality technical proposals
- Serves as a technical expert/resource to TA/Evaluation and Business Development teams by contributing to technical proposal development and contract implementation in the democracy and governance sector.
- Contributes to Company business development through networking in professional circles and with prospective clients.
- Contributes to the expansion of the Global Consultant Network.
- Engages fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing support to other team members as needed.
- Minimum of master’s degree and four years’ experience or Ph.D. and two years’ experience. Degree in Political Science, International Development a related field.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of two years of direct MEL experience with at least two years in the democracy and governance field.
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors, and cultures.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Experience in developing meaningful theories of change and associated MEL strategies
- Strong qualitative and/or quantitative evaluation skills, with a demonstrated ability to synthesize complex data streams.
- Ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
- Experience facilitating adult-centered learning processes and academic training in research designs and methodologies.
- Adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making critical assessments.
- Ability to understand the needs of an organization and identify creative solutions. Committed to providing the highest level of service.
- Excellent management, organization, communication (verbal and written) and problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects and communicate results.
- Fluency in languages other than English highly desirable.
- Budget planning and executing experience.
- Flexibility and ability to travel for varying lengths of time.