Africare is the oldest and largest African-American founded organization in the field. Africare's programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Throughout its 40 year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability.
Africare is looking for an Operations Coordinator. The contract is currently set for 3 months and Africare anticipates about 75 days of work or 600 hours. S/he will report to the Director - Monitoring, Evaluation, and Knowledge Learning (MEKL) at Africare Headquarters in Washington DC, USA.
This effort will cover the time required, with possibility of extension as needed, for office set up and launch. In this time, the contractor will serve as Africare’s face on ground, will liaise with all stakeholders including all relevant government offices, identify and map out needs for set up and program rollout, and finally, manage the launch event planning and rollout within 2 months in Lodwar, Turkana County.
Africare is seeking someone on ground with an operations and management in development background to set up offices, execute initial set up strategically, as well as managerial experience to allow for effective oversight and management of recruitment of a locally-based team and finances during rollout in Turkana County. S/he will demonstrate integrity and drive for the coordination, planning and rollout for the IMPACT Project. S/he will also leverage knowledge and insight into the workings of the national health system, agriculture and food security frameworks, and government, specifically supporting liaison with the Ministry and key local stakeholders, as well as logistical and operations management to assure on ground set up.
· Minimum bachelor's degree in a relevant field like agriculture, health, economics, international relations, business administration, with technical specialization or experience in nutrition, food security, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, resilience or social behaviour change for health programming; Master's degree or higher preferred.
· Five (5) years practical NGO and Africa-based related development and operations assistance experience required. Preferably in Eastern Africa.
· Demonstrated operations and program set up and coordination experience.
· 1-3 years’ experience with some monitoring, evaluation and assessment.
· An understanding of US-based non-profit/development work, organizational structures and reporting.
· Demonstrable program management, coordination and people management experience.
· Strong engagement, diplomacy and strategic operations skills.
· Clear and open communication (via email and on the phone), also at odd hours with HQ in Washington DC (7-8 hours behind, on US Eastern Standard Time)
· Organized and able to deliver to tight deadlines.
· Integrity and transparent working practices.
· Capacity to oversee and produce fiscal reports in line with Africare and funder requirements.
· Familiar with MS Office and other software packages including proficient email use and ability to communicate effectively in writing.
· Ability to live in Turkana County, Kenya and travel under uncomfortable conditions (at times off road) within the county, and work on ground through the end of the contract in June 2018.
· Networks within the ministries of health and agriculture in Turkana and / or nationally for Kenya. Or, alternatively partnership building capacities, and demonstrable experience working with decision-making bodies and policy-makers.
· Fluent Swahili and on ground working experience in Eastern Africa. Ability to speak HaTurkana.
· A plus are research and program technical skills in nutrition and food security, or agriculture.
Applications should include a CV, writing sample and (if possible, that include(s) a report presenting complex information relevant to nutrition or nutrition-sensitive agriculture programming and operations in Africa), and cover letter. In cover letter (of no more than two pages in length), the potential candidate should briefly describe his or her motivtion of the positon and highlight experience and salary requirements.
Please email materials including “Operations Coordinator – IMPACT Program - Turkana County” in the subject line.
All applications must be submitted no later than April 27, 2018. The position will remain open until filled.
Africare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to workplace diversity.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org