At the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015, world leaders adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030. The Sustainable Development Goals build on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), but the new SDGs, and the broader sustainability agenda, go much further than the MDGs, addressing the root causes of poverty and the universal need for development that works for all people.
UNDP supports countries in three different ways, through the MAPS approach: mainstreaming, acceleration and policy support:
Mainstreaming - Providing support to governments to reflect the new global agenda in national development plans and policies. This work is already underway in many countries at national request;
Acceleration - Supporting countries to accelerate progress on SDG targets – targeting national (and UN) resources at priority areas, identified in the mainstreaming process; and
Policy support - Making the UN’s policy expertise on sustainable development and governance available to governments at all stages of implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Provide policy advice with respect to inclusive and sustainable growth issues;
- Provide guidance on statistical issues related to nationalising SDG targets and indicators and monitoring SDG progress;
- Provide oversight, and serve as resource person, for SDG capacity building initiatives to the Government of Azerbaijan;
- Provides strategic direction and advice to UNDP management on key policy issues related to integrated SDG policy issues preferably with respect to inclusive growth;
- Support in conducting participatory and multi-stakeholder sectoral reviews and identification of SDGs accelerators;
- Define and lead an analytical policy research agenda to enable Azerbaijan to contribute to global debates on SDG implementation;
- Provide support to the nationalisation of SDG targets and indicators, facilitate the development of a SDG baseline report based on national data and assist in determining key trends that could be used as medium-term and long-term SDG targets;
- In consultation with the NCCSD and UNDP facilitate consultations for the preparation of an SDG-aligned development strategy till 2030;
- Provide strategic direction, guidance and quality assurance for the preparation of the National Voluntary Report and country report on SDGs;
- Provide support in preparation for a SDG regional forum organized by the Government in partnership with UN agencies in Azerbaijan;
- Organize capacity building activities of the NCCSD and its working groups in formulation and implementation of comprehensive development strategies;
- Support to NCCSD in the design and implementation of the National SDG Innovation challenge;
- Coordinate and support SDG awareness-raising events and campaign;
- Provide support with South-South cooperation and knowledge-exchange for SDGs facilitated around Baku principles;
- Explore possibilities for fundraising for the SDG implementation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of Sustainable Development Goals (MDGs/SDGs);
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills;
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Positive, constructive attitude to work;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches - Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
- Stays calm and maintains composure under stress or during a crisis, keeping disruptive emotions under control;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Is realistic about own limits using support mechanisms as needed and maintaining an appropriate work-life balance;
- Senses the emotions of others, understanding their perspective, taking an active interest in their concerns;
- Fosters a positive outlook and maintains focus during period of stress and heavy work load, inspiring and guiding others towards goal achievement;
- Creates a climate of enthusiasm and flexibility, where people feel encouraged to give their best;
- Stands up to group pressure, not giving in out of a desire to please or to avoid confrontation and conflict.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing - Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise - In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Have effective interpersonal and negotiations skills and ability to coordinate complex, multi-stakeholder projects and be able to think in a strategic manner on complex and difficult projects;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Excellent written communication skills.
Client Orientation - Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, international development or closely related fields;
- At least 7 years of experience working on economic and social development issues including applied modelling approaches;
- Experience working with MDGs and SDGs;
- Hands-on experience working in a development setting;
- Ability to synthesize data and understand trends and complex issues drawing synergies and linkages between development issues (governance, inclusive growth, poverty, environment, etc.);
- Good understanding of the local context and previous work in Azerbaijan will be an asset;
- Experience working in the Europe and CIS region would be an asset;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search;
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English; knowledge of Azerbaijani and Russian is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org