This position is located at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies (ACSS), Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), and Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD). The mission of the Africa Center is to advance African security by expanding understanding, providing a trusted platform for dialogue, building enduring partnerships, and catalyzing strategic solutions.
Working as part of the Research and Strategic Communications team, the Academic Specialist is responsible for managing the Center's website and social media presence in order to disseminate the Center's key research findings and best practices to a wide-range of African and international stakeholders.
1. Maintain and manage the Center's social media presence in alignment with its mission and brand.
2. Curate the Center's YouTube channel, including reviewing for SEO, creating playlists, and rotating featured videos.
3. Develop and implement creative targeted outreach strategies through social and digital media and use a variety of strategic methods and techniques to reach a diverse civilian, military, scholar-practitioner, and international audience.
4. Manage the Africa Center's website, including posting and curating all content, acquiring images, implementing a rigorous maintenance schedule, maintain security and functionality of plug-ins and applications, designing and implementing new features and functionalities, and maximizing SEO.
5. Demonstrate subject matter expertise in African security issues. Track recent publications, current events, and developments among the African security community and hubs and maintain a strong familiarity with all Center publications and products.
6. Track media coverage of Africa security issues on a daily basis and periodically generate the Center's Daily Media Review.
7. Professionally engage target audiences, media, information hubs, and scholars via external social media fora so as to enhance exposure of Africa Center products.
8. Monitor and provide analysis of metrics of the Center's social media performance so as to maximize impact. Assess opportunities and implement innovative approaches for promoting and communicating Africa Center products, to include formulating and leading specific activities.
9. Stay abreast of changing uses and capabilities of social media networks and adapt the Center's strategy as needed, this includes modifying communication campaign plans to disseminate information through timely and relevant media resources.
10. Design and develop infographics, charts, maps, or other images to convey key academic findings.
11. Film, edit, and publish videos, including title slides, SEO-compliant titles, tags, descriptions, and other features.
12. Work on long-term web design and structural updates, install applications and plug-ins, and create new architecture as needed.
Occasional travel - 15% or less
LINK TO APPLY: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512843300
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non Critical Sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security determination to occupy a Non Critical Sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension. Applications for this vacancy require a narrative assessment questionnaire to be completed by each applicant and uploaded as a separate document with submission. The required narrative questions are listed in the "How You Will Be Evaluated" section. Responses to the narrative questions must be completed and uploaded with the other specified required documents.
The Africa Center has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The Africa Center employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. The Africa Center uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the Africa Center screening panel.
BACKGROUND CHECKS AND SECURTIY CLEARANCE
Drug test required
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following supporting documents are REQUIRED to verify your individual eligibility status. Not all will apply for each applicant. They MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered or uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
DSCA - DEFENSE SECURITY COOPERATION AGENCY
Indianapolis, IN 46249