Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Precursors Control Section (PRE), Secretariat of the International Narcotics Control Board (SINCB), Division of Treaty Affairs (DTA), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), in Vienna, Austria. The Secretariat of INCB is an administrative entity of UNODC reporting directly to the Board on substantive matters. The incumbent will report to the manager of the INCB Global Rapid Interdiction of Dangerous Substances (GRIDS) Programme, and work under the overall supervision of the Chief of the Section.
Within assigned authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following specific duties:
- Facilitate forming of national, regional and international (like-minded) groups of private sectors industries voluntarily cooperating with Governments for the prevention of trafficking in dangerous substances.
- Develop, implement and evaluate assigned activities under the programme; monitor and analyze programme development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiate corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; ensure follow-up actions.
- Promote and support the voluntary partnership process with governments and relevant private sector companies; reach out to member states to identify and invite private sector companies from their countries to participate in working groups and related meetings.
- Facilitate private sector engagement that supports companies’ participation in related events such as working group meetings, training events, workshops, conferences and related expert consultations.
- Initiate and coordinate outreach activities; conduct training events, workshops, conferences, seminars, etc.; make presentations on assigned topics/activities; host webinars and make presentations on other assigned activities.
- Develop toolkits, codes of conduct and guidelines for like-minded private sector partners focused on the prevention of trafficking in dangerous substances.
- Act as a liaison between stakeholders involved in the programme, ensure the smooth flow of information and communication, and ensure the successful completion of all activities as set out in the programme.
- Consult with stakeholders in planning and facilitating workshops, training events, conferences, and other interactive sessions, and develop action plans the stakeholders will use to manage the change.
- Lead and/or participate in large, complex field missions, including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, and provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials, private sector companies and other parties.
- Coordinate activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Perform other work-related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to public-private partnerships, private sector engagement, social business or corporate social responsibility as well as drug control and trafficking related issues. Has good understanding of United Nations programme policies in international drug control and crime prevention and the mandates of UNODC. Is able to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Is able to communicate effectively with counterparts and provide effective specialized advice to stakeholders. Is able to conduct data collection using various methods and to evaluate and draw conclusions. Has conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Has good understanding/conceptual knowledge of information systems and electronic communication platforms. Is able to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, marketing, public relations, international relations, or related field is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional year of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience, including at the international level, in public-private partnerships, private sector engagement, social business and corporate social responsibility or related field is required. Several years of experience in project management, administration or related area is required. Work experience in international drug or precursor control, international crime prevention, or related field at the international level is highly desirable. Experience with the United Nations system or similar international organizations is desirable. Experience in facilitating private sector engagement is desirable. Working experience with relevant industries, such as the pharmaceutical/ chemical industries; e-commerce, online business-to-business, internet domain registries/registrars; social media; cryptocurrencies/online financial services; or the express mail, courier or transport industries at the international level is desirable. Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365/ Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required. Experience with relevant specialized software (Adobe Creative Suite, desktop or web publishing, social media tools, graphic design, or related web-applications) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised fluency in English with very good drafting skills is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org