The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
To effectively fulfill its mandate, International IDEA – as a democracy supporter and a hybrid ‘think and do tank’ – faces the dual challenge of needing to provide evidence-based assessments and analysis of developments impacting on democracy on the one hand and providing actionable, timely and useful policy recommendations as well as knowledge products and tools on the other. The new Global State of Democracy Indices constructed by International IDEA as an evidence base for the Global State of Democracy publication is such a resource that allows trend analysis based on International IDEA’s broad definition of democracy and a dataset covering the period 1975-2015.
According to the 2017 institutional evaluation, there is scope for International IDEA to improve its assessment and analysis capacity, to empower the organization in its ability to advocate for and support democracy. In this regard, the Institute established the DAPA unit with a mandate to:
- Conceptualize, develop content and implement future biennial reports of the Global State of Democracy, which may have flexible and different formats, responding to political analysis and developments impacting on democracy. The report is aimed at becoming the Signature Publication of International IDEA, that contributes to the global democracy debate and inform democracy strengthening policies at different levels;
- Undertake political analysis, yielding products that respond to political developments in a time sensitive manner, such as policy briefs and papers, op eds, webinars and blogs including recommendations which analyze political developments and their impact on democracy;
- Further develop, maintain and interpret its key evidence base-the Global State of Democracy Indices (GSODI). The indices are a key statistical evidence-base for GSOD, but also function as a stand-alone web-based database, to be used by researchers, policy-makers and practitioners in their work;
- Establish, strengthen or revise partnerships that support, enhance and multiply the strategic objectives of DAPA and of International IDEA, with a view to influencing dialogue and debate on democracy.
The Associate Programme Officer will provide support to the DAPA unit in all its areas of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides research assistance to the content development and drafting of the GSoD Report and the GSoD In Focus;
- Provides support to the yearly updates of the GSoD Indices, including support to coordination of updates, liaising with consultants and web providers as needed;
- Provides support to communications and outreach efforts of DAPA’s knowledge products and tools, including the GSoD Report, the GSOD Indices and the GSoD In Focus, including fact-checking the content of all of DAPA’s knowledge products;
- Prepares presentations and graphs based on DAPA’s knowledge products and analysis;
- Tracks and reports on the outputs and outcomes of DAPA’s knowledge products and outreach efforts through regular results reports.
- Requires good knowledge and initial experience in the field of democracy and political analysis, and good governance, and some familiarity with democracy measurements;
- Will contribute to the Global State of Democracy project in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, and will support spin-off projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Contributes to the further development of International IDEA’s outreach and communications activities, including updating the website and relevant social media networks as relevant to the DAPA programme with a particular focus on promoting the Global State of Democracy publication Initiative and its various knowledge products;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensurperspective e high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity in all activities.
- Head of Democracy Assessment and Political Analysis.
- Has good knowledge of democracy issues, political science and some understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner;
- Has good knowledge of the Global State of Democracy conceptual framework and some experience using the Global State of Democracy Indices data in research and analysis, as well as some knowledge of other democracy measurements.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the geographical regions where IDEA has regional offices or programmes and where his/her work is implemented;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Is able to solve problems of varying degrees of complexity; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- Good analytical and team work skills;
- Fluency in written and oral English is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is desirable.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Statistics, Political Science or related field;
- A minimum of three (3) years professional experience, preferably within the context of an international organization or NGO working in the field of democracy or human rights, including substantial internship(s);
- Experience and knowledge of democratization and good governance, including the development and implementation of such projects, preferably within the context of an international organization or NGO working in the field of democracy assistance or advocacy;
- Demonstrated knowledge of democracy in comparative research; Experience in conducting research and analysis is required;
- Knowledge of using the GSoD Indices in analysis and research is considered an advantage;
- Working knowledge of statistical software programmes such as SPSS and R would be considered an asset, but is not required;
- Knowledge of at least two regions in which IDEA is active, preferably Africa and West Asia and/or Latin America;
- Field experience in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Wider Europe or Latin America is advantageous.
Terms of Contract
- Local Post;
- Two (2) year fixed term appointment;
- SEK 30,202 NET per month.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those currently legally authorized to live and work in Sweden.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org