Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of an programs including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities.
Program Director will be responsible for Assessing needs and ensures that program objectives are met. Coordinates activities of program committees and/or other groups to plan procedures. S/He will write grant proposals and manage large scale donations, manage a departmental sub-function within a broader departmental function. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure. Deep knowledge of the managed sub-function and solid knowledge of the overall departmental function. The Programme Director is the client-side representative, acting as a single point of contact with a project manager or deputy project manager for the day-to-day management of the interests of the organization.
The Program Director performs a wide range duties including but not limited to the following duties:
Plan the programs
- Plan the delivery of the overall programs and their activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization.
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of ADRA programs
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the programs in coordination with the Finance Director
- Develop a programs evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the programs and to identify areas for improvement
- Develop funding proposals to ensure the continuous delivery of services
Organize the program
- Ensure that programs activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and in line with the donor rules and regulations.
- Ensure that programs activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document programs activities
- Implement an effective storage of all program related documents (business development, proposals, reports, etc) to enhance institutional knowledge.
Staff the program
- In coordination with the HR manager, recruit, interview and select well-qualified programs staff
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization
- Manage and implement a performance management process for all programs staff.
- Ensure that all programs staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the programs
- Identify, plan, and execute capacity building opportunities for programs staff.
Lead the program
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
- Supervise programs staff by providing direction, input and feedback
- Communicate with stakeholders to gain community support for the programs and to solicit input to improve the programs
- Liaise with other managers to ensure the effective and efficient programs delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different programs activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Provide solutions-based responses to the implementation of large-scale programs within a highly complex and fluid context
- Troubleshoot complex field challenges to ensure effective and uninterrupted operation of the programs by liaising with local stakeholders and authorities.
Control the program
- Write reports on the programs for management and for funders
- Communicate with donors as outlined in donor agreements
- Ensure that the programs operate within the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted programs expenditures
- Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the Country Director and Director of Finance and Administration on a regular basis (monthly/bimonthly)
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with programs activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Provide guidance and leadership in the development of an effective Monitoring and Evaluation system to ensure that lessons learned are documented and applied for future programming.
- Monitor the programs activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation according to the program’s evaluation framework.
- Report evaluation findings to the Country Director and recommend changes to enhance the programs, as appropriate.
· Master degree in International Relations or any related field.
· At least 8 years of progressively responsible professional experience managing complex humanitarian programming.
· Previous experience in an emergency or conflict-afflicted setting is required.
· Proven success and management of grants from institutional donors (GFFO, Danida, ECHO, EuDevCo, Sida, IHA)
· Ability to travel to remote areas.
· Personal flexibility and high motivation.
· Established success in managing teams working remotely, under difficult conditions, with less-than-ideal communications systems.
· Highly skilled in organizing large-scale, fast-paced, responsive field programs.
· Situational and opportunity awareness.
· Solid ability to provide team-building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
· Must demonstrate strong cross-cultural sensitivity and interests of others’ beliefs and worldviews.
· Exceptional organizational and coordination skills.
· Strong team player and able to demonstrate strong cross-departmental cooperation.
· Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
· Strong negotiation skills essential with experience in conflict resolution desirable.
· Superior oral and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
· Experience of working successfully with local stakeholders such as local and international NGOs, government, etc. with sensitivity and diplomacy.
· Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
· Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
· ADRA Standards of Professional Conduct
· ADRA and ADRA workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the Code of Conduct.
· Minimum of three professional references are required.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted
- Submit only one application per position
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org