The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
Context of the role
The ECF Programme Industry & Innovation works with and supports a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks, research, politics and industry to support positive action on climate in European heavy industry, both at the level of the EU and in major member states. Our goal is to contribute to a thriving European industry that is able to meet the objectives of the Paris Agreement of net-zero emissions. We aim to cluster our work not based on political spectrums but on implementable measures that can achieve tangible results. The role of the Associate Industry & Innovation contributes to and is central in implementing the ECF’s strategy for a clean heavy industry.
The post holder will play a key role in strategy implementation, dealing with grant management, and monitoring and evaluating the progress of work streams. There will be direct engagement with other ECF programmes, partners and the external environment to inform strategy development. The Associate will be responsible for:
- Grant-making activities and administrative processes: Reviewing grantee proposals; evaluating grantee reports; managing the portfolio and budget overview via the grants management system; working with bespoke grant making and monitoring & evaluating packages;
- Project management: managing and monitoring deliverables and work conducted by a set of grantees and external consultancies by maintaining frequent communication and ensuring accountability; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report progress to donors;
- Financial planning and budget support: Working with the Director and management team to establish clear and effective budget management and planning systems, to assist with strategic decision making via the grants management system;
- Organisation and coordination: Practical and logistical support, including planning and organising internal and external meetings/events, drafting/reviewing reports and minutes, helping to prepare presentations to funders, travel logistics, expense reimbursement and invoice processing.
She/he will report to the Director for Industry and Innovation.
Experience and competencies
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation, and in supporting a global industry and materials system that does no longer emit greenhouse gases;
- 2 - 4 years of experience, ideally in either a civil society organization, philanthropy a public authority, or an industrial company;
- Interest in/understanding of topics of relevance, such as: innovation in energy intensive materials, circular economy, materials efficiency, transformation of energy systems. An understanding of French climate policies is a plus;
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written); French highly desired. Any additional European languages valuable;
- Strong administrative and computer skills (MS Office);
- You are structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously; an enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude; an independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time permanent contract.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org