Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Regional Support Team of the Policy, Knowledge Management and Coordination Branch of OCT. Under the overall supervision of the Director of the Knowledge Management and Coordination Branch, the incumbent will report to the Senior Political Affairs Officer and Team Leader of Knowledge Management and Coordination Section.
Within delegated authority, the Public Information Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large, complex communications campaigns (e.g. global promotion initiatives, public information programmes for a region, broad-reaching subject specific issues, etc.); where appropriate, works with departments, funds and agencies to develop ways to implement campaigns system-wide and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products;
- Identifies sources and seeks funding and other assistance for major campaigns;
- Provides advice and expertise to managers, senior officers and other public information staff on a range of public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/public relations issues/problems;
- Develops strategic partnerships with key constituencies to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives; serves as a spokesperson/principal liaison to media organizations, governmental bodies, national groups, private sector organizations, educational organizations, international organizations, etc.;
- Prepares or oversees preparation of a diverse range of information communications products in support of major campaign initiatives;
- Drafts complex material for UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books and edits drafts prepared by junior officers;
- Evaluates results and impact of communications activities; reports on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN;
- Represents the institution in meetings and conferences; fulfills speaking engagements and makes presentations to groups on UN activities and advocate issues of concern; organizes media coverage and arranges for media contacts, briefings, interviews; organizes seminars, lectures, conferences, public events on major issues and events concerning the organization;
- Builds information networks; plans and oversees maintenance of publicly accessible information materials on the United Nations; plans and develops outreach activities;
- Manages publications programme; produces materials for print/electronic/voice/visual media;
- Assists is the day-to-day operation of the division to include participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the division, interpreting and disseminating policy, providing procedural advice, improving reporting systems, handling operational and administrative queries, preparing budget submissions, establishing and/or coordinating training programmes and monitoring and evaluating results;
- Provides support for the organization of regional conferences of member states concerning counter-terrorism, the prevention of violent extremism when conducive to terrorism, and other related topics.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of different aspects of public information and communication. Ability to address a range of issues in the context of political developments, public attitudes and local conditions. Ability to conceptualize, design and implement major information campaigns. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area is required;
- Experience coordinating with regional offices across multiple duty stations of the United Nations or other international organization is required;
- Experience in organizing regional conferences is desirable;
- Experience working on counter-terrorism and prevention of violent extremism issues is desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org