You will report to the Country Director and will line manage the Programme Managers, monitoring evaluation accountability and learning (MEAL) Coordinator, and the Programme Support Officer (PSO). You will liaise with the Systems Director, Country Financial Manager and other key support staff.
As a member of Concern Afghanistan’s Senior Management Team, the Programme Director (PD) will manage and guide the development of Concern’s programme activities in Afghanistan in line with the Country Strategic Plan and Concern Worldwide policies and strategies, ensuring quality, strategic purpose, participation and accountability.
You will be responsible for:
Leading Programme Design, Implementation and Development
- Lead programme design and development including preparation of concept notes and high quality proposals and secure donor funding involving partners;
- Develop effective linkages with donors, strategic networks and partners to ensure Concern’s programmes are highly relevant to the wider development and humanitarian context;
- Ensure organisational approaches such as equality, risk and vulnerability are addressed.
Lead and guide Programme Managers and partners for effective delivery and management of ongoing Development & Emergency programmes including ensuring financial management
- Ensure all programmes deliver results as per donors contracts and organisational quality standard;
- Coordinate the programme activities across programmes, sectors and approaches; supporting staff and partners and ensuring complementary approaches;
- Ensure organisational and programme M&E system is effective and the annual outcome monitoring system effectively functions to measure the changes in programme indicators;
- Ensure effective financial management of all a programmes including management of donor grants;
- Ensure the visibility and external communications of programme launch, successes and learning.
Ensure development of funding strategy and meet organisational funding targets to effectively support delivery of emergency and development programmes
- Researching and analysing donor funding priorities as well as keeping up to date with currently available funding opportunities and develop the funding strategies analysing funding requirements to meet the organisational target for annual budget set in strategic plan;
- Establish relationship with donors and UN and share Concern‘s work and explore opportunities of establishing partnership for new programmes;
- Formulation of short, medium and long term funding strategy in consultation with the Senior Management Team and Concern Worldwide headquarter team in Dublin.
Staff Development & Organisational Learning
- Guide Technical experts, monitoring evaluation team, communication and advocacy team ensure adequate support to ensure high technical standard and quality in the programme, ensuring adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS);
- Ensure that the Afghanistan programme achieves high standards in terms of design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation through Concern Worldwide’s Project Cycle Management System, Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS), Programme Quality Guidelines and the PM&E Framework;
- Document learning and share widely internally and externally at national and international level.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, provide effective leadership to the organisation
- Active participation in Senior Management meetings, contributing significantly to decisions on policy and strategic direction;
- Ensure leadership in safeguarding and the implementation of safeguarding policies throughout all programme implementation;
- Enabling effective learning and sharing in the organisation, supporting regular dialogue between the programme and the learning and sharing teams;
- Lead the organisation as acting Country Director as required.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Third level qualification in Development Studies, Agriculture, Business Administration, Education, Engineering or other related discipline;
- At least three years overseas experience in similar or related senior management positions;
- Experience of programme development, the project management cycle, budget management and participatory planning methodologies;
- Strong understanding of and commitment to the promotion of equality;
- Knowledge and experience of Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies and emergency preparedness;
- Fluent English (written and spoken);
- Previous experience of managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff;
- Proven strong management ability, including the ability to lead and motivate others;
- Excellent public relations, and written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
We would also like:
- Experience participating in and working under a Cluster coordination system;
- Previous experiencing managing programmes in the WASH, livelihoods, education, nutrition, shelter and/or protection sectors;
- Affinity with organisational values, mission and vision, commitment to humanitarian principles;
- Experience of managing multiple simultaneous grants.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org