Banyan Global is seeking an experienced Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist for the USAID-funded Agribusiness Development Activity in Uzbekistan. The Project will seek to engage vulnerable populations, especially women and youth within the horticulture sector. Women remain underrepresented throughout the economy, and vulnerable communities in remote regions of the country are disconnected from economic opportunities. The project will support economic opportunities for women and youth who are largely absent from agribusiness. Smallholder farmers lack sufficient resources and production volumes to participate in market systems; the project will seek to correct this imbalance by supporting women’s and youth economic activities at all levels of the agricultural value chain. The activity will also support women at higher levels of management in agribusiness with meaningful wages. The activity will support opportunities for women in training and education, research and development, product development, and other areas with the potential to provide meaningful organizational roles. The project will take a culturally sensitive approach to women’s economic empowerment, recognizing cultural norms while simultaneously seeking to overcome the barriers that exist. These efforts will seek to close the gender pay gap while improving the overall level of female and youth workforce participation, especially in vulnerable regions of Uzbekistan.
The position is based in Tashkent for the life of the project. Only Uzbek candidates will be considered.
- Lead all activities related to women, vulnerable communities, and youth, i.e., social inclusion.
- Lead a social inclusion analysis at the start of the project
- Develop a social inclusion action plan aligned with the project work plan that details the project’s implementation strategy to social inclusion.
- Design and deliver training and technical assistance to project staff and partners on social inclusion.
- Support the development of M&E indicators on social inclusion.
- Review grantee applications, when appropriate, to Uzbek organizations to guarantee social inclusion compliance.
- Ensure that gender is mainstreamed across the program, including training materials, monitoring, operations, policie,s and procedures, and design activities that target women, youth, and vulnerable populations within the scope of the project.
- Provide written input to project work plans, quarterly reports, and annual reports, with attention to gender dimensions of technical activities and operations.
- Travel to project locations around the country to oversee technical inputs.
- Manage local consultants, when appropriate or needed.
- Maintain active relationships with gender specialists and others in related organizations and programs in the region.
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender issues related to project components.
- University eegree in gender studies, international development, agricultural sciences, development economics, international affairs, or some related field, with a focus on gender.
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in gender, youth, and vulnerable populations.
- Minimum five years of experience effectively integrating gender considerations into development projects.
- Prior experience with agriculture productivity, agribusiness, and market development.
- Fluency in English is required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org