The Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) currently needs an Assistant Director to assist with management of SEVIS reporting compliance, office data and file management, client communication, and provide immigration advising and program support in areas of international student services. The Assistant Director will also contribute collaboratively with Internationalization and Global Engagement on college-wide strategic internationalization initiatives.
The Assistant Director, International Student Affairs brings technical expertise in the areas of international student advising, SEVIS reporting compliance and data management, and operation of an efficient international student office. Will work independently under the supervision of the Director of International Student Affairs.
Supports the OISA team by coordinating SEVIS reporting compliance and data management for US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS):
- Runs weekly, monthly and semester SEVIS alerts and reports through Cognos (and other systems) to assist team with case review and follow up.
- Ensures efficient use of available system tools for office record keeping, including Banner and other systems.
- Coordinates semester check-in process for new students within SEVIS deadlines.
- Coordinates paper or electronic filing system, including annual archiving of files in accordance with office procedures and SEVIS guidelines.
Coordinates cyclical communication to student clients:
- Sends scheduled OISA advisory messages to students (extensions, under-enrollment, program completion, etc.)
- Reviews and updates advisories to reflect immigration and policy changes.
- Assists with developing and promoting semester calendar of OISA workshops
- Manages OISA social media platforms
Supervises OISA student workers:
- Hires, trains and supervises team of OISA Junior Coordinators to assist with front desk duties and client welcome
- Coordinates JC project work requests from Internationalization and Global Engagement (IGE) staff
Serves as immigration advisor to international students:
- Provides advanced level immigration advising to students
- Serves as a SEVIS F-1 Program Designated School Official (DSO)
- Manages timely and compliant reporting of international student information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and other databases as needed
- Keeps current with immigration regulations, policies and practices affecting international students.
Collaborates and contributes to the development and implementation of a wide range of programs and support for international students:
- Assists with project management, event coordination, and strategic communication for the Office of International Student Affairs
- Provides leadership support to international students through one or more campus roles including: serving as an advisor to an international student organization, or serving as office liaison to international orientation or international peer mentor group
- Interacts with other campus offices to promote College-wide internationalization through special projects and events
- Participates in building partnerships with campus constituents to enhance international student support
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and at least 3-5 years’ experience related to immigration advising of students in F-1 status, including 1-3 years of project management experience
- Knowledge of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) regulations pertaining to international students and SEVIS reporting requirements.
- Must demonstrate understanding of current prevailing issues and key immigration concepts related to international students in U.S. higher education, ability to foster relationships with students in cross-cultural settings, and a successful record of developing and implementing programs that enhance student experience
- Must be able to work independently with guidance, enhance the knowledge and skill-base of the office and be able to use advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Skills in team building, case resolution, leadership, project management, and empathetic intercultural communication
- Innovate thinker with a vision for providing high-quality services that educate and empower students
- Must hold U.S. citizenship or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident to meet U.S. Department of Homeland Security requirements as an F-1 program Designated School Official (DSO)
- Familiarity with SEVIS, Microsoft Word, Excel
Preferred/Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
- Master’s degree in related field of study, or equivalent experience, with at least 5-7 years of experience related to immigration advising of F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors, including 1-3 years project management
- Advanced knowledge of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) regulations pertaining to international students and SEVIS reporting requirements
- Experience with international student data management software (Ellucian ISSM, Sunapsis, Terra Dotta, or similar)
- Other preferred qualifications include: experience with or knowledge of international student admissions, study abroad, international student taxes, intercultural programming, or immigration regulations related to other immigrant/ non-immigrant statuses; experience with or the ability to learn student information system software; proficiency in at least one language other than English; experience living, working, or studying abroad
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org